The Real ME: A Stock Photography Resource for the Media
We’ve all seen them in the news stories about ME/CFS: the guy in a suit at the office, yawning; the beautiful woman sitting at her desk with her immaculate make-up and elegantly coiffed hair, hand to her head and looking slightly pained.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Did you have any problem with aerobic exercise before becoming ill? Like childhood?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by Sushi, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I have been thinking about this and remembered that even as a very healthy child I could not run, swim, bike as far as other kids my age--I would just poop out. This is making me wonder if there is a genetic component that affects the production of aerobic energy (or glycolysis) that predisposes us to later develop ME/CFS. (@Rose49 )

Looking back, there was never I time when I could run any distance, jog, take an aerobics class etc. Of course this was greatly exacerbated when I developed ME/CFS.

Do any others have this history?

MeSci, Cinders66, PDXhausted and 14 others like this.
  2. Dechi

Dechi Senior Member

Canada
    I was never the sporty type when I was young but I had gotten in really good shape before getting sick : I could jog, bike, do aerobic workouts for hours and lift weights. So my answer would be : no, I didn't have any problems before at all.

I had asthma but I took medications and it was under control.

3. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    No, I was pretty sporty. Sorry — don't want to ruin a good theory! :)

slysaint, Theodore, Aroa and 6 others like this.
  4. belize44

belize44 Senior Member

Pennsylvania
    I used to walk miles, take dance classes, dance until 2 am, etc. But my daughter seemed to have stamina issues; I once observed that her knees started to buckle when she started to run. She now has symptoms of fibro and chronic fatigue.

Sushi, sarah darwins and merylg like this.
  5. Basilico

Basilico Senior Member

My husband (who has CFS) was athletic and into all sorts of sports since middle school. He was especially fond of running/soccer. As an adult in his 20s he couldn't really do anything aerobic because he had bad knees, but he was a weightlifter until his PEM attacks forced him to stop in his early 30s.

6. Johnskip

Johnskip

I can't do aerobic but I'm still trying to lift weights I just got finished think I pushed too much feeling pem already it suckkkkkkkkks

Sushi likes this.
  7. Kati

Kati Patient in training

No problem with aerobics until onset. Rower in my teens, long distance runner (half marathons, one marathon) in my twenties, road cycling (races, cyclotouring) in my thirties. Hiking, trail running, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing.

The sudden onset took everything from me.

MeSci, merylg, jpcv and 7 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    No sorry I was very sporty, although it's been a while since I felt my cape flapping behind me in the breeze.

9. Apple

Apple Senior Member

UK
    I definitely had poor stamina. And it wasn't from just being unfit, my mum didn't have a car when i was a child so we used to walk 1-2miles into town and back several times a week, I was very outdoorsy, but struggled when it came to things like running, swimming, tennis etc

10. Basilico

Basilico Senior Member

I'm sorry to hear that! Learning where the limits are with this illness is really difficult.

We just recently found something that seems to be helping PEM. When either my husband or I are starting to get PEM, we take either a high quality non-denatured whey protein powder (which provides the precursors for glutathione production) or liposomal glutathione. They both seem to make a noticeable difference and either prevent or drastically reduce PEM. If you haven't tried either of these, maybe it's worth it.

11. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    As a kid i struggled. I was borderline diabetic by symptoms, bloods were fine. I got a stitch just walking. After strict diet i was fine. Then got really sporty in my 20's. Up until i got the virus.

merylg and Sushi like this.
  12. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I was a long distance runner and loved hiking. I had endless energy.

I had a sudden onset. I wonder if sudden vs gradual onsets have different experiences with aerobic activities?

MeSci, merylg, jpcv and 8 others like this.
  13. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I did a lot of cycling (steady touring speed) and I was very active compared to most kids. But I remember once around age 11 at a school athletics day I had to run in a 500 m race. I started well, then around a quarter of the way it was like someone pulled the plug and all the other competitors overtook me. I remember the teachers being as surprised as I was!

14. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I could walk for hours, more than five hours at a time. However there were times when running I would get severe vertigo. Intensity of exercise mattered. I also tended to become exhausted and stay that way from any sustained aerobic exercise program ... not an individual run or whatever, but continued over time. I was stubborn though, and kept trying aerobic exercise, up until the mid 90s.

15. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

The last time I did a sustained running program I was one or two weeks in, and having walked to my running path I started to run. I hit the wall instantly, before I had made even a couple of steps. That energy wall, well known to runners and aerobic exercisers, and which usually can be pushed through to get second wind, lasted about six months. I had trouble even slowly walking for that time. This was in the 90s.

16. mirshine

mirshine Senior Member

Dublin, Ireland
    I kept pushing when I was over the tummy bug symptoms of the virus that started it all. In running you push to get better. Not so with this! Unfortunately it took a very long time for me to learn. Man I miss running!

soti, merylg, Aroa and 3 others like this.
  17. ahimsa

ahimsa Sick since 1990

Oregon, USA
    There was a somewhat related thread on this a while back, in case it's helpful.

The original poster of that thread asked about what kind of training people did prior to getting ill, wondered if people who got sick were not so good aerobically.
    Here's the link:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/question-for-former-athletes-fitness-rats.43872/

For what it's worth, my answer was that I never had trouble with any type of exercise before I got sick:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...thletes-fitness-rats.43872/page-2#post-712632

Aroa, Murph, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  18. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

Nope, was very active as a child, played soccer, baseball, basketball, ran track, swam, did road and mountain biking, snowboarding/cross-country skiing, hiking, all with no issues. The years leading up to sudden onset ME I was in the best shape of my adult life, spending 3-4 days a week weightlifting and doing cardio.

merylg, jpcv, Aroa and 6 others like this.
  19. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I used to have running dreams before anyone ever heard of Forrest Gump. I miss running too.

MeSci, merylg, Aroa and 4 others like this.
  20. Shoshana

Shoshana Northern USA

Northern USA
    Thanks for this excellent topic, @Sushi

With everyone's interesting replies.

Myself, it seems like I was more able to do more than you SUshi, described in your first post on this thread,

but not as much as the others.

Was not as able as others, to do the longer distances.

Still was very active and athletic, though. Enjoyed very much.

Was better at sprinting than long distance.

merylg, Cinders66 and Sushi like this.

See more popular forum discussions.