Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Did those promoting PACE at the Science Media Centre follow COI guidelines?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Mar 6, 2016.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

To me it looks like the SMC has pretty tight requirements, that those whose jobs have been built upon claims about the efficacy of CBT and GET for CFS don't seem to have lived up to. I can't imagine a complaint to the SMC about this is likely to be taken very seriously though. More likely, it would be seen as evidence of harassment.

Seems like a lot of people making money from CBT/GET for CFS declared nothing when they were promoting PACE, eg:

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...reatments-for-chronic-fatigue-syndromeme-2-2/

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/do-the-best-treatments-for-cfs-cost-more-3/

OT: Wonder if Wessely's talk on psychological therapies for CFS to a pharmaceutical company will have done much to encourage them to invest in research?

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/e...ntidepressants-and-cbt-for-severe-depression/

Bob, BurnA, Scarecrow and 4 others like this.
  2. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Impressive compartmentalisation. He was able to talk about therapies he refers to as "the only game in town" without promoting them.

Out of interest, should that be Janssen? [SMC's mistake if so]

Esther12, leela, Cheshire and 2 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Prof, every talk you give on CFS promotes psychological explanations and therapies for it.

Some might even call that propaganda.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    Justin30, Comet, medfeb and 10 others like this.
  4. Hip

Hip Senior Member

It looks like Simon Wessely has been appointed to the board of Trustees of the Science Media Centre.

That is an appointment that will likely add more angular momentum to the SMC's spin of PACE and CBT/GET.

The current SMC board of Trustees are listed on this SMC webpage. If you look at the same webpage on the Wayback machine archive of 16 March 2015, you see that Wessely is not listed there. But look on the archive of 1 April 2015, and you see Wessely's name appear.

So it looks like he was appointed to the board of Trustees around March 2015.

5. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

That is interesting and odd.

I thought he'd always been heavily involved with them.

Maybe he'd stepped down for a period? [Couldn't see mention of him in earlier archived pages]

Or maybe they'd accidentally not included him, and PACE furor led to him being added?

He is listed as having been on their science advisory panel 2002-2012 here: http://powerbase.info/index.php/Science_Media_Centre That's probably what I was thinking of.

So it looks like he was just added on.

OT: Not a surprise what side of the debate Wessely was on here (from when the SMC was first being set up):

www.sciencemediacentre.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Science-Media-Centre-consultation-report.pdf

6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Yes, I was also aware of that role: Wessely is listed as being on the science advisory panel of the SMC in this 2002 SMC document. But if you Google search the SMC website, you do not find any other documents with his name in them. So it looks like he had a science advisory panel role back in 2002. Then this new role in 2015 as a Trustee.

7. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

He might have been on the science advisory committee for some time... it was only wound up in 2012. I think that it was around 2012 that I saw he was officially involved with the SMC.

8. Hip

Hip Senior Member

That's quite possible.

Wessely is listed as being on the science advisory panel in this 2003 SMC newsletter as well. But in later newsletters (found here), I noticed they stopped listing the science advisory panel members.

Esther12 likes this.
  9. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Does this man's wormery know no bounds? Is this current trend he's just invented as a distraction to justify his position of authority really a thing? Do members of PR, informed patients and people who just like looking stuff up and informing themselves really equate all sources of knowledge as of equal value? The main problem for PWME as I see it is the insistence by Sir Simon and his ilk that their psychoquackery be equated as of equal value with biomedical research.

meandthecat, Comet and BurnA like this.
  10. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

I'm sure it's all part of a grand plan he has. He knows the writing is on the wall for his theories and he wants to control exactly how the press find out that his career is based on nothing.

TiredSam likes this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

They want an environment where the expert is always right, even without any evidence. They need this to continue promoting their various pseudoscientific ideas that don't stand up to even superficial scrutiny.

12. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Indeed. All you have to do is replace the word "expertise" with "authority" in his quote to see what he's really up to.

Cheshire and A.B. like this.
  13. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    but it also means he's put himself at the head, he wallowed in the glory and now, his ego and greed have lead as the saying goes:
    his trousers are around his ankles, and his c*ck is on the chopping block!

evil-smiley.gif

See more popular forum discussions.