Phoenix Rising tells QMUL: release the PACE trial data
Mark Berry, Acting CEO of Phoenix Rising, presents the Board of Directors’ open letter to Queen Mary University of London (QMUL) urging them to release the PACE trial data, and hopes that other non-UK organisations will join British charities in the same request...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Did Darwin Have ME/CFS?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Wayne, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Just ran across this relatively short article. It sure sounds like he suffered from it for many years.

Did Darwin have ME/CFS?

Charles Darwin lived in miserable health and debilitating fatigue until his death at the age of 73. It is quite ironic that one of the most recognizable names in the history of science, famed for his theory on “the origin of species,” was baffled by the origin of his own affliction.

Darwin’s physical dysfunction was at times so incapacitating that it caused him extreme depression as well as a dying sensation. In his 50s, Darwin also experienced transient, yet immobilizing, paralysis with exertion in addition to frequent memory loss and difficulties in verbal expression—not unlike what is referred to as post-exertional malaise and “brain fog” in ME/CFS vernacular.

... An English psychiatrist, Dr. John Bowldy, concluded that Darwin’s illness must be psychosomatic! Bowldy argued that Charles was still grieving the loss of his mother, who passed away when he was 8. Yet historians never described a grief-stricken Darwin, nor did he in his own autobiography.

Instead, what was verifiably documented is a slew of physiological and biochemical abnormalities like dysotonomia, visual disturbance, gastric dismotility, abdominal pain, muscle wasting, lactic acidosis, peripheral neuropathy, tachycardia, dizziness, seasickness, nausea and severe headaches. All clinical manifestations that bear striking resemblance to the spectrum of ME/CFS symptoms and associated morbidities including POTS....​

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. Mij

Mij Senior Member

I read somewhere that he may have had a parasitical infection.

PeterPositive and alkt like this.
  3. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

Very interesting. It seems likely that he would have picked up some nasty bugs along his extensive 5 year observational journey.

alkt and Marky90 like this.
  4. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

In recent years a doctor from Australia has made a compelling case for Darwin's illness being a mitochondrial disease. Cyclic vomiting syndrome or, more likely, MELAS syndrome. The family tree is also suggestive of a mitochondrial disease.

http://www.genetics.org/content/194/1/21.full.pdf

Woolie, merylg, halcyon and 1 other person like this.
  5. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    So even being dead for 130 years doesn't protect you from a 'psychosomatic' diagnosis. Is there no escaping these people???

6. Marky90

Marky90 Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance

Hahahaha

:(

7. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Good one Sarah! :D:thumbsup:

Never Give Up and alkt like this.
  8. Research 1st

Research 1st Severe ME, POTS & MCAS.

CDC should get a Darwin award:

Claim to be a centre of disease control, then not control disease, by allowing pathogen spread in ME/Chronic Lyme by forcing patients to have a diagnosis of this CFS. A disbelieved condition they created using no tests based on tiredness, that their employee Stephen Straus, was on record stating talking to Fukuda about CFS, that by making CFS, this was the best political outcome.

Political outcome to what regarding a disease control? Hmmm... Have a guess.

A Darwin award alright, with the CDC still stubbornly supporting Fukuda CFS criteria that lead to now tens of millions being infected with the pathogen in ME/Chronic Lyme, whilst patients are still told to do CBT/GE due to having chronic fatigue syndrome, when they don't have CFS but ME and Chronic Lyme- doh!

For those who don't know CDC deny Chronic Lyme exists and stay silent on ME. Think why.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    PeterPositive and merylg like this.
  10. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA

See more popular forum discussions.