The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Did anyone use Tranxene to taper off Klonopin/clonazepam ?

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Braz, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Braz

Braz

I did switch to Tranxene. Unfortunately, it seems to be shorter acting and weaker.

2. invisiblejungle

invisiblejungle Senior Member

It's strange that Tranxene is shorter-acting for you, since it has a longer half-life. Are you taking the equivalent substitute dose for clonazepam?

http://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

3. Braz

Braz

@invisiblejungle,

I've had that discussion before ... There is a difference between 'duration of action' (basically how long the drug works) and 'half life' (basically how long it takes for the drug in blood plasma levels to drop).

Now, it is true that a drug will usually still do something past the 'duration of action', as long as it is in the body. But that is a different order of magnitude.

Tranxene itself is inactive, it is directly converted into desmethyldiazepam. Which has indeed a long half life. Probably 5-100 hours.

For me, the clonazepam lasts about a day. 'duration of action' The drug also has a long half life, 1-2 days.

I was under the impression that one could take Tranxene twice a day. But it seemed to peter out after a few hours. And that was when I still had clonazepam in my system.
    So I think it is definitely odd. Dosing three times a day or more often would seem required. I had hoped it would last longer than diazepam. The equivalent dose for 2 mg clonazepam would be 60-80 mg a day, and I tried up to 80 mg a day.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016

See more popular forum discussions.