• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Did addressing SNPs help you?

Hello

I'm curious to know how many members saw major improvement after supplementing for SNP? (Or know of members who did)

Until now I've avoided this as, it all looked rather complicated (and possibly expensive)

Also there seems to be some debate about which SNPs are important to address e.g CBS etc? Which ones are the more impactful?

Would very much appreciate hearing about your experiences

Thank you

Valentijn

Also there seems to be some debate about which SNPs are important to address e.g CBS etc? Which ones are the more impactful?
There might be some SNPs which show predisposition to a vitamin deficiency or similar. But only a few of the popular methylation SNPs have any significant impact.

CBS is a good example of some of the hype and outright lies manufactured by people selling supplements. It doesn't get significantly up-regulated, so it's pointless to buy a cure to fix a problem which doesn't exist. Hence it can be important to carefully look into the actual research regarding the SNPs, instead of trusting what people are saying in blogs and commercial websites.

stridor

No, but the 23 did help to explain my responses to mfolate and mB12. I had already figured out on my own that taking mfolate under the tongue and mB12 (and lots of it) had made a huge difference. Listening to discussions in places like this and doing some reading I predicted my MTHFR status and almost got the B12 SNPs as well.

In fact, the main spin-off benefit of doing 23 is that it changed my relationship with my Dr who began to pay closer attention to the things I was saying.

23 may also explain (or not) why I need 10,000 IU of Vitamin D to get into the "normal range".

But there is nothing in my list of SNPs that led to changing my protocol. The kindness of strangers, trial and error and the search for people on the same path were more helpful to me.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm curious to know how many members saw major improvement after supplementing for SNP?
For me, not improvement but learning that I had SNPs which significantly affect drug metabolism. I had pharmacogenomics testing which revealed that there were medications that I should never take, some that I would need a double dose and some that I should only take a quarter or half dose. This helped to explain some adverse drug reactions.

ahmo

I found 23andme helped me more directly find a pathway. And for me, CBS, among others, did prove to be a problem, and I've used a number of strategies to address it. I used some of Yasko's homeopathic formulations when I was starting my self-treatment, and they helped. I did not use them long, maybe a year. I just kept chipping away at the symptoms and using snp info to forge a path. 5 years on my quality of life is so so different from when I started. Few noxious symptoms, even though the basic energy deficits mean I can accomplish very little.

I found 23andme helped me more directly find a pathway. And for me, CBS, among others, did prove to be a problem, and I've used a number of strategies to address it. I used some of Yasko's homeopathic formulations when I was starting my self-treatment, and they helped. I did not use them long, maybe a year. I just kept chipping away at the symptoms and using snp info to forge a path. 5 years on my quality of life is so so different from when I started. Few noxious symptoms, even though the basic energy deficits mean I can accomplish very little.

Thanks Ahmo!

I don't suppose you have you have any Sulfur testing strips hanging around that you'd like to sell - I looked into buying some but would prefer not to buy 100

missfire

Knock Down, Bounce Back

I am curious Ahmo. How did you use your 23andme data to help? I just recently did the saliva test. I would get my data back soon for 23andme.