• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diarrhoea and stomach cramps??

hi all... im bedbound 24/7 and everytime i watch tv or use laptop or try to read a book i get cramps and the runs after about 15 mins.. anyone know why as its driving me mad... thanks

whodathunkit

Does it happen when you read only ebooks, or with traditional paper books, too?

If it happens when you read traditional books, too, could be something to do with acetylcholine and the nervous system. From my own hard experience I'm beginning to learn there's a big connection between the brain and gut, but I don't think it's just about the gut bugs unless they are the sole mediators of acetylcholine production and utilization.

JohnCB

Immoderate
hi all... im bedbound 24/7 and everytime i watch tv or use laptop or try to read a book i get cramps and the runs after about 15 mins.. anyone know why as its driving me mad... thanks

I know those two only too well. I didn't have a particular trigger - the cramps just came when they felt like it, followed by a mad dash to get to the toilet in time. I have been using Mebeverine for years now, initially the standard drug, but now the modified release. It is an anti-spasmodic. It doesn't directly stop diarrhoea but without the cramps it seems less frequent. Here in the UK it is a prescription drug but it is routinely used for this purpose. As I had to increase my use of codeine, that stopped the diarrhoea so I could abandon the Lomotil but I still take the mebeverine.