1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Diagnosis and management of CFS/ME in black and minority ethnic people

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    This study was recently discussed by ME Research UK on Facebook (below). Quite interesting, given the historical bias - although that has I think already been discredited. Don't believe we have covered this study on the forum:

Made me also wonder how relevant this also might be to other populations e.g. with the possible exception of language barriers; many of the barriers could be said to apply to others.

ME Research UK:

Small study I think to reach a conclusion that people from BME populations are 2-3 times as likely to suffer from CFS/ME as whites; but there we go. Wonder what that would do to prevalence figures if they all received a diagnosis!

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Is there any evidence that spiritual healing is a less effective intervention than the management provided by the NHS? This paper is from some of the FINE lot, whose research showed how their 'treatment' did nothing to help patients, but did seem to promote disdain for patients amongst clinicians - maybe this is why minority groups who do not start with the level of foolish faith in medical authority that many middle-class white people are deluded with want to avoid diagnoses like CFS?

What are the barriers which prevent white people from engaging with spiritual healing?

Dolphin and biophile like this.
  3. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member

WA, USA
    there are some other papers (one or more by Jason et al., and at least one by Wessely or White) which note a higher prevalence of ME/CFS among minority populations (though a lower diagnostic rate), both in places like London & Chicago and in developing nations like Nigeria.

Although the barriers mentioned may be recognizable to some extent to people in general, it may not be appropriate to say that everyone has the same barriers because this could be seen as ignoring the extra stigma carried by those who have more sources, and ignoring various cultural differences. (Not to say that all non-minority people are the same group, either: that would also be a mistake.)

SOC and Firestormm like this.
  4. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    The real barrier is actually poverty. Blacks and other minorities are more likely to be poor.

There are a couple of variables to consider - Poor people have less access to good health care. Additionally, poor people are more likely to be exposed to more pollution because they live in less desirable areas, and are more likely to be eating the Standard American Diet which is depleted of nutrients and full of GMOs.

If you studied middle class ethnic minorities, their rate should be about the same as middle class whites. (except for blacks, see below)

The other variable is that MTHFR mutations i.e. genetic methylation problems, vary by ethnicity. The highest rates are for whites, Italians and Hispanics. The lowest rates are for blacks.

This would suggest that poor diet/pollution rates for blacks are much higher than for other ethnic groups, to compensate for lower rates of MTHFR.

I would love to see a study done just on middle class people of various ethnic groups to leave out the poverty variable.

Or simply a study that asks people why they haven't received treatment - then we can stop guessing.

5. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

First it was claimed in the 1980's/1990's that CFS was a white person's illness, but that turned out to be a methodological artifact. Now in the 2000s/2010s, with slightly more sophisticated methodology, it is being claimed that people from the black and minority ethnic population are 2-3 times more likely suffer from CFS than white groups. Would not surprise me if this was just another methodological artifact. No doubt someone is going to start blaming the increased prevalence on the psychological and socioeconomic stresses of being a minority etc?

Dolphin, Bob, Esther12 and 2 others like this.
  6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Some psychobabble/similar in the paper

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

These reasons seem plausible enough to me. Not really specific to certain ethnic groups either.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Another point that wouldn't be specific to certain ethnic groups:

Valentijn likes this.
  9. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The language point seems plausible enough to me:

10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

The authors present this as a bad thing in terms of managing/treating ME/CFS but maybe it isn't!

11. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Authors bring up graded activity/exercise elsewhere also:
    No mention (that I recall) of the £1.3m FINE Trial that many of them were involved with, not doing very well.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.