Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Diagnosing Gut Issues?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by Xhale19991, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Xhale19991

Xhale19991

I have had digestive disorders for years and they have begun to get quite serious. I am a rather skinny guy but will have bloating 24/7 to the point where I look pregnant. My stomach is in pain more often than not, and I have dealt with indigestion since I was a young boy in high school (21 now).

I have tried more diets and supplements than I can count to no avail. What confuses me the most however is just how I could go about figuring out what is happening with my digestion. What tests are available that would be able to pinpoint my specific problem and then provide me with some direction in terms of possible treatments?

2. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    I had serious bloating like that when I had candida. An easy way I used to diagnose is eat some peanut butter. If you bloat, there's a good chance you have candida.

Are there specific foods that make you bloat? have you found a trend?

If it is candida that is pretty easy to treat. I used this diet and protocol. I swear by Thorne SF-722. just one option.

http://candidarecovery.com

Xhale19991 likes this.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Here is a very good test but it needs a very knowledgeable doctor to interpret it:

http://www.redlabs.be/red-labs/our-tests/dysbiosis-testing-msa.php

Sushi

Xhale19991 and Thinktank like this.
  4. helen1

helen1 Senior Member

Canada
    I would get a Comprehensive Stool Analysis if I were you. Several labs do these. Metametrix is the one I've used and have found it very useful.
    http://www.metametrix.com/test-menu/profiles/gastrointestinal-function/dna-stool-analysis-gi-effects
    Useful: found out which beneficial bacteria I was low in and which too high; that I had low pancreatic enzymes; that I had high pH; no parasites.
    On the down side, they are not often able to see yeast or fungus in the stool, so they may report a false negative if you do indeed have yeast overgrowths.

5. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

Try using Digestive Enzymes and a lot of betaine HCL with each meal. Take them 30 minutes after you finish eating.
    Work your way up with betaine, when I started I needed 20+ pills of betaine hcl(350MG per pill) I've been able to decrease it slowly. Just keep adding 1 betaine pill with each meal until you feel a light burning feeling, then back off 1-2 pills and take that with every meal containing protein

BTW that bloating is typical of dysbiosis, commonly from candida and other bacteria. Parasites do the same thing.

6. Sushi

Albuquerque
    I think I read here somewhere that Metametrix is no longer doing the DNA aspect of the analysis?

Sushi

7. end

end

I have heard the same thing. There sample test on there web site has been altered.

Maybe there not getting good feed back from there high amounts of PPTU findings??

Can anybody confirm this

8. tdog333

tdog333 Senior Member

Genova took over Metametrix and didn't want to offer PCR anymore that's why

end likes this.
  9. Sushi

Albuquerque
    So, the Redlabs Metagenomics might be the only DNA gut test available now.

Sushi

10. kisekishiawase

kisekishiawase sad

southeast asia
    Yes i also create a thread about the discontinuation of pcr metametrix new stool analysis .

Does the redlabs MSA test also check for fungus such as candida?

See more popular forum discussions.