• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Diagnosed hypothyroid now

Probably should have been long ago. Always had lower than range T4 and barely in range t3. I now have severe symptoms. Don’t know if they can finally catch up with you as time goes on. I got wiped out in 2 months. Don’t know if hypothyroidism can come on that way.
I’ve also been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I don’t really know if I have both.

drob31

One thing I've learned recently is that you have to go very slow if you're going to use thyroid hormone. And that many people can't tolerate very much T3. Also that you need to not supress your TSH as TSH also activates deiodinases which convert T4 to T3 in peripherial tissues. For whatever reason, many people need the body to convert the t4 to t3 to feel better, and you may need to add a tiny amount of t3 in from a natural source like armour.

With that being said, start very low and go very slow.

One thing I've learned recently is that you have to go very slow if you're going to use thyroid hormone. And that many people can't tolerate very much T3. Also that you need to not supress your TSH as TSH also activates deiodinases which convert T4 to T3 in peripherial tissues. For whatever reason, many people need the body to convert the t4 to t3 to feel better, and you may need to add a tiny amount of t3 in from a natural source like armour.

With that being said, start very low and go very slow.
Thanks. We started Levothyroxine at 50mcg.
Boy those pills are small.
Doesn’t seem like having all of my symptoms is gonna be fixed by hypothyroidism treatment. . I don’t know how bad hypothyroidism can get. I’m either hypothyroid or CFS I believe though. Pretty sure I’d rather be hypothyroid. Afraid it’s CFS though.

drob31

Thanks. We started Levothyroxine at 50mcg.
Boy those pills are small.
Doesn’t seem like having all of my symptoms is gonna be fixed by hypothyroidism treatment. . I don’t know how bad hypothyroidism can get. I’m either hypothyroid or CFS I believe though. Pretty sure I’d rather be hypothyroid. Afraid it’s CFS though.

Please read this (it's a from doctor who tried standard thyroid treatment approaches and found that they needed a totally different approach than anyone in medicine expect one person was giving)

http://www.chronicfatiguediagnosis.com/2018/05/23/thyroid-hormone-my-friend-my-enemy/

Basically, you can't just give someone alot of thyroid hormone who has hpa-axis dysfunction. They start very very slow with 6.25 mcg of levoxythroxine. And go up 6.25 mcg every week. So slow you should not feel anything for weeks. Some people need a very low dose of 1-2 mcg of t3 from armour in a slow release form as well.

The only doctor that can probably help many people with thyroid issues that have hpa-axis dysfunction is Kenneth Blanchard, and his book, although he died a few years ago.