• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DHEA help sleep??

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Anyone take dhea at night and it helps them sleep??
I have read a few things on other forums where people have found dhea helps improve sleep, possible explanation was that it helps lower night time cortisol or reduces the overstimulation from cortisol??

I have found dhea somewhat energizing but it has helped me to better handle stimulant type things better such as pregnenolone and sudafed when i have taken it for sinus issues.
At the moment i use 25mg dhea caps in the morning. I am thinking of changing to a transdermal cream, maybe 25mg in the am and 5-10mg in the pm and see how it go's. I wont be able to try this for a few weeks until i get scripts for dhea and order it from compounding pharmacy.

Interested to know peoples experience and opinions.

cheers!!!

heapsreal

ok, i just emptied a dhea cap and halved the dose, so approx 12 mg now a cap which i will take at night. still going to take 25mg in the morning though. see how things pan out.

cheers!!

perchance dreamer

I use Xymogen 7-keto DHEA topical creme first thing in the morning. I have tried it at night, and it had a bad effect on my sleep.

People are just so different, aren't they? Some people can use a little thyroid right before bed, and it helps their sleep. I tried it once and really rued it. I have to be really careful about the timing of anything potentially stimulating.

heapsreal

ok, i just emptied a dhea cap and halved the dose, so approx 12 mg now a cap which i will take at night. still going to take 25mg in the morning though. see how things pan out.

cheers!!

not much really to report from dhea at night but will continue with it for a few more nights. My sleep wasnt too bad, was abit restless but thats normal for me.

cheers!!!

ukxmrv

Hi there, I didn't find that DHEA helped my sleep. Took it accidentaly at night a few times but there didn't seem to be any benefits.
If you suspect high cortisol at night or get that wired feeling the old thing PWCFS used to take was Seriphos or some form of p-serine. Only downside for me was that I have low cortisol AM and it felt even lowered. Fortunetly I don't get that wired feeling at night very often so didn't experiment with timing.

Good luck with the DHEA

heapsreal

I think for some of us when we say high night time cortisol, its probably not that high but high enough to disrupt sleep i guess. I think some of us sort of have a flat line cortisol level, not high enough in the morning to give us energy and not quite low enought to allow us restful sleep.

I Havent used seriphos but have used phosphatidyle serine with some help from it. Maybe after juggling dhea doses and timing around i may add something like seriphos to the mix.

Thanks for the reply,
cheers!!!

My cortisol level usually is low in the early morning, then goes up, followed by going down in the evening. I also often have atypical reactions to sleep aids/supplements, meaning they keep me awake. DHEA actually helps my sleep somewhat, so I take it at night 10-25mg. Phosphadityl Serine also helps. These do not put me to sleep, but are of help. Pregnenolone is more stimulating, so not for sleep. People do react differently and some of us are more likely to have atypical results.