Julie Rehmeyer's 'Through the Shadowlands'
Writer Never Give Up talks about Julie Rehmeyer's new book "Through the Shadowlands: A Science Writer's Odyssey into an Illness Science Doesn't Understand" and shares an interview with Julie ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DHEA Effects on Glutamate and Oxidative Energy Metabolism.

Discussion in 'General Treatment' started by Ema, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    DHEA has important benefits on oxidative energy metabolism as well as modulating cortisol.

It also increases levels of glutamate dehydrogenase. Glutamate is often elevated and neurotoxic due to activated microglial cells.

DHEA is also an antioxidant and may stimulate neurogenesis.

While too much is also not a good thing, leaving levels low for long periods of time seems counterproductive at best as well. I supplement DHEA at 25 mg a day; men can often use up to 50 mg/day successfully.

Optimal DHEA levels may be considered to be in the 4-500 ug/dl range for men and 350-430 for women.

2. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

This is interesting. The thing is, in males DHEA tends to convert more to estrogen rather than testosterone. By taking zinc and DIM you can partially counteract this I believe, although you will still get some estrogen.

Still, I like how it opposes cortisol, glutamate, and has immune boosting properties.

3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    With the 50mg dhea dose i seemed to aromatize alot to estrogen. To help counter this i split the dose in two taking 25mg twice a day. I also use very low dose or arimidex .25mg twice a week on a mon/thur.

My dhea levels (2.1/ 2.2-15.5)were well below normal, supplementing pregnenolone did very little to my dhea levels. 25mg dhea once a day got me into the normal range(4s) but this was low normal. 25mg twice a day got me into the higher rangers (9.1/ 2.2-15.5).

effects are subtle but definately feel better for it.

4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Dhea =manboobs?

5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    my milkshakes bring all the boys to the bar?????
    :D

6. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    Sexy beast.

heapsreal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.