• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

DH got bedridden by taking whey

Gondwanaland

Whey is one of the supplements to avoid. Please read this post

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ponse-and-a-possible-treatment-for-cfs.37244/

and let me know if your husband feels better. Good Luck.
Thanks, Mario. I saw that list when you originally posted it (I am following the UPR thread with interest).
Thing is that some stuff in that list is really helping my husband and I - more interestingly the stuff that is beneficial for him is not for me, and vice-versa.
Also interesting is the symptom list you posted ovelaps with gut (histamine, candida, SIBO, you name it) and liver (methylation, MCS, you name it).

It also caught my attention that orange juice is a HmG-CoA inhibitor - my husband is addicted to it, and I wonder if it had anything to do with his problem. I think his orange juice addiction is related with arginine and ammonia build up though, but if it impairs leucine metabolism then we have a catch22 here.

He apparently had a massive ammonia build up, not sure about MMA anymore, tomorrow I am going to the dr's office to pick up the order, but I think it is useless to test it now that he is feeling better.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
Well Wisdom Whey protein one one of my top 5 supplements. I don't take it in large amounts, but I do take it 4 times a day. It took awhile to start showing improvement, but it has been a well rounded improvement. It's not cheap, but considering the money I've spent on other supplements it's a bargain.

The only other diary that I currently eat is plain yogurt (can't it eat plain even with stevia added to it) with a few blueberries or organic strawberries added to it.

Gondwanaland

@August59 what improvements do you see?

I have been taking 2-4 tsp of whey at breakfast/afternoon snack (max. 4 tsp daily) for about 2 months now, but only saw real improvements after adding 1g glutamine before breakfast, which cleared my morning fog. I might have getting better endurance during the day, that's all. Hope to be building some lean mass.

A couple of weeks ago I added BCAAs @Mary (very_low_dose) and intend to ramp up sometime.

Just restarted magnesium and on the same day sleep was perfect. I am kinda tolerating Mg citrate now (pushing through tinnitus).

I just wish that what works for me would also work for DH :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Gondwanaland - I'd been wondering if you tried the BCAAs - it sounds like you are tolerating the very-low-dose which is great. I'm also glad to see that the glutamine is helping you. It's supposed to help build muscle mass among other things. I think it increases my endurance. It's also supposed to be very good at squelching sugar cravings (which I don't have trouble with) - but I have a couple of siblings who have major sugar issues and I've been urging them to try l-glutamine (http://healthdivas.blogspot.com/2012/09/shortcut-to-stop-sugar-and-starch.html)

And am glad your husband is doing better!

ukxmrv

II'm also floored by Whey proteins @Gonwanaland. Went from being able to leave my home for short trips to housebound and often bedbound for nearly a year.

Gondwanaland

It's also supposed to be very good at squelching sugar cravings (which I don't have trouble with) - but I have a couple of siblings who have major sugar issues and I've been urging them to try l-glutamine
Interesting! DH's sugar cravings tanked while on glutamine, but it obviously compounded on his ammonia buildup

Glutamine: a Trojan horse in ammonia neurotoxicity
Abstract
Mechanisms involved in hepatic encephalopathy still remain to be defined. Nonetheless, it is well recognized that ammonia is a major factor in its pathogenesis, and that the astrocyte represents a major target of its CNS toxicity. In vivo and in vitro studies have shown that ammonia evokes oxidative/nitrosative stress, mitochondrial abnormalities (the mitochondrial permeability transition, MPT) and astrocyte swelling, a major component of the brain edema associated with fulminant hepatic failure. How ammonia brings about these changes in astrocytes is not well understood. It has long been accepted that the conversion of glutamate to glutamine, catalyzed by glutamine synthetase, a cytoplasmic enzyme largely localized to astrocytes in brain, represented the principal means of cerebral ammonia detoxification. Yet, the "benign" aspect of glutamine synthesis has been questioned. This article highlights evidence that, at elevated levels, glutamine is indeed a noxious agent. We also propose a mechanism by which glutamine executes its toxic effects in astrocytes, the "Trojan horse" hypothesis. Much of the newly synthesized glutamine is subsequently metabolized in mitochondria by phosphate-activated glutaminase, yielding glutamate and ammonia. In this manner, glutamine (the Trojan horse) is transported in excess from the cytoplasm to mitochondria serving as a carrier of ammonia. We propose that it is the glutamine-derived ammonia within mitochondria that interferes with mitochondrial function giving rise to excessive production of free radicals and induction of the MPT, two phenomena known to bring about astrocyte dysfunction, including cell swelling. Future therapeutic approaches might include controlling excessive transport of newly synthesized glutamine to mitochondria and its subsequent hydrolysis.
@ukxmrv I suppose adequate levels of B6 are needed for proper protein metabolism, but then if one has ammonia build up it is a double-edged sword :thumbdown:

DH had been taking P5P and it is becoming clear that I have to find a way for him to dispose from ammonia faster. Lysine? :cautious:

A sodium bicarbonate immersion helped immensely when his knee and elbow joints were aching terribly, but this is not practical.

MAF14

Interesting! DH's sugar cravings tanked while on glutamine, but it obviously compounded on his ammonia buildup

Glutamine: a Trojan horse in ammonia neurotoxicity

@ukxmrv I suppose adequate levels of B6 are needed for proper protein metabolism, but then if one has ammonia build up it is a double-edged sword :thumbdown:

DH had been taking P5P and it is becoming clear that I have to find a way for him to dispose from ammonia faster. Lysine? :cautious:

A sodium bicarbonate immersion helped immensely when his knee and elbow joints were aching terribly, but this is not practical.

I believe ammonia is causing me issues as well. If you do find a way please let me know...

Gondwanaland

I believe ammonia is causing me issues as well. If you do find a way please let me know...
The answer is pretty much linked in my signature - every one of those links address ammonia in one way or another, but especially the "Uric acid" one. I just wish I could build knowledge on it all... My head is constantly empty, and I keep getting surprised by the information content of my own posts from months ago :wide-eyed: