• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Development of a GFP-indicator Cell Line for the Detection of XMRV

eric_s

In order to try to balance things here a bit i post this abstract. I think Ruscetti and the IrsiCaixa people (i had at least hoped so) are the ones to make the case for XMRV at this CROI. So i can't wait to hear from them. This assay might help ruling out at least some ways of contamination, but i might be wrong, someone with scientific knowledge will have to comment on this.

At the risk of making myself unpopular with some people here, i'm wondering why the only 2 new threads about CROI abstracts are suggesting XMRV does not play a role in ME/CFS.

http://www.retroconference.org/2011/Abstracts/42318.htm

Session 43-Themed Discussion
TD: XMRV: New Findings and Controversies
Wednesday, 1-2 pm; Room 302-304

Paper # 215
Development of a GFP-indicator Cell Line for the Detection of XMRV
KyeongEun Lee, F Ruscetti, P Lloyd, A Rein, G Fanning-Heidecker, and V KewalRamani
NCI-Frederick, MD, US

Background: HIV titer can be estimated using indicator cell lines within days of infection. HIV indicator cells rely on production of tat to transactivate expression of a reporter gene under the control of HIV LTR sequences. Simple retroviruses typically do not encode transcriptional transactivators. For simple retroviruses that lack transformational or cytopathic activity, their titers are measured by endpoint dilution and assaying for virus proliferation after weeks of cell culture. Replication-dependent vectors have been used to monitor mobilization by retrotransposable elements or the replication of retroviruses. Here we describe an indicator cell line for the detection of infectious xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) that relies on the propagation of a vector, which leads to expression of a GFP reporter.

Methods: We constructed a murine leukemia virus vector encoding puromycin resistance and a CMV enhancer/promoter driven GFP reporter gene whose transcription was antisense to the vector mRNA. The GFP reporter sequence (iGFP) was interrupted by an intron placed in the sense direction relative to the vector. The prostate cell line, LNCaP, was stably transfected with the above construct and drug-resistant clones were isolated. GFP was detected by fluorescence microscopy or FACS analysis.

Results: Several LNCaP-iGFP cell clones displaying sensitivity to XMRV infection after endpoint dilution were isolated and designated Detectors of Exogenous Retroviral Sequence Elements (DERSE) cells. GFP signal could be detected within 3 days of infection, with the number of GFP+ cells increasing over time. GFP signal after virus inoculation was dose-dependent and could be impaired by heat inactivation or the addition of zidovudine to cultures at the time of infection.

Conclusions: In principle, DERSE cells should also detect other gammaretroviruses capable of infecting human cell lines. Because this indicator cell system utilizes GFP as a reporter, infection can be monitored in live cultures by fluorescence microscopy. DERSE cells provide a facile assay to assess antiviral or antibody mediated neutralization of XMRV, and should be useful in assessing the presence of infectious XMRV in patient samples.