1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Detection of MLV virus in Epstein Barr virus positive B Cell line...

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by currer, Jan 15, 2012.

1. currer

currer Senior Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22238296?dopt=Abstract

Who says MLVs cannot replicate in human cells?

Four B-cell lines infected with MuLV.

"....Further investigation revealed that MuLV transcription in JY cells is highly active. We also identified a number of MuLV alternative splicing events and we uncovered evidence of APOBEC3G-dependent DNA-editing.

Finally, RT-PCR analysis showed the presence of MuLV in three other human B-cell lines (DG75, Ramos, and P3HR1 Cl. 13) commonly used by investigators in the Epstein-Barr virus field....."

(E-pub ahead of printing.)
    TheMoonIsBlue likes this.
  2. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Oooooh, but no need to worry, APOBEC is here to protect us from any naughty MulVs should it think of infecting a living human!

(just look at the great job it does in protecting us from HIV :rolleyes:)
    currer likes this.
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    its just all mass hysteria and we shouldnt test for these viruses because they are expensive, we need to exercise more.

YEAH RIGHT!
    lol.

EBV keeps popping up doesnt it, theres more to this virus then they really know about.

cheers!!!
  4. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I find it scary that these MLV's are hanging out in quite a lot of these human cell lines. That research has shown that some of these cell lines are highly infectious and that infection was spreading to other tissues in labs. And that many scientists were unaware these cell lines were infected. I know this is not evidence that these viruses are also infecting humans, but it makes you wonder...

I saw on the other forum that it was already known that one of these cell lines harbored a retrovirus, though?
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9770427
    RL_sparky and currer like this.
  5. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

well gee wonder why so many of us got EBV and CFS at the same time!

why is lipkin taking so long to say something. this is not right....we are dying
    TheMoonIsBlue and RL_sparky like this.
  6. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    Yeh, how amazing is that... despite evidence of A3G editing, virus still spreads. Surprise, surprise. Anyone who says that because of A3G, we don't get MLVs or MRVs is not talking science.
    RL_sparky, TheMoonIsBlue and currer like this.
  7. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    I just feel the plot thickens now - hopefully all will be revealed soon.
    RL_sparky, TheMoonIsBlue and currer like this.
  8. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    March according to Mikovits I believe.
  9. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    Tony, do you have access to research that conclusively and demonstrably shows that A3G shuts down MRVs completely in human tissue (in or out of the body), other than the research that shows it 'limits' it? Because the above study certainly shows that it doesn't.

By the way 'limit' does not mean stop, but is an admission that it doesn't do the complete job, that the spread is retarded, and only in cells where A3G is present and only during transcription. MRVs can spread via cell mitosis, in which case A3G does not get involved. Are you saying this is not the case?

None of the studies I have read have admitted that MRVs/MLVs are stopped completely by A3G. Some studies have surmised that this does happen, but only because they haven't found the virus, and only because A3G can be shown to 'limit' the virus.
    currer likes this.
  10. Firestormm

Firestormm Senior Member

Cornwall England
    I don't have the full paper but does it rule out contamination? Would be my first thought. Second thought would be 'So what?' as MLVs have not been discovered in humans let alone linked to human disease. Nevertheless an interesting finding I should think.

Happy though the read the full paper and obtain several points of view before making any conclusions from this. Christ! I'm still digesting the Coffin and Pathak Macaque study. Don't know how you guys manage to read and digest whole papers let alone interpret them sometimes.
  11. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

I'm pretty convinced by the evidence against an association between MLVs and CFS (or at least, against the work that claimed there was an association)... but there have been tantalising things which could have meant an association made sense. There was another paper on (what was then) XMRV and EBV a while back (I don't really understand this new paper).

The other thing is, MS research on immunological responses to EBV have been indicating another range of plausible explanations for the fact that CFS is so often triggered by glandular fever. EBV is just a right cheeky bugger.
  12. currer

currer Senior Member

There are many tantalising leads, Esther, I agree with you.

I hope research into MLVs and human diseases can continue so that we can explore this. There are certainly a lot of co-incidences.
    These cell lines are passaged in mice and seem to pick up MLVs very readily.

It shows that MLVs have a propensity for human tissues, if these infections spread so readily in the lab.

See more popular forum discussions.