Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Details on NIH study

Discussion in 'Active Clinical Studies' started by viggster, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Roy S

Roy S former DC ME/CFS lobbyist

Illinois, USA
    Erica Verrillo writes about the teleconference and study:

http://cfstreatment.blogspot.com/2016/03/nih-teleconference-reassurances.html

This is a good find by her on a vital subject:

"In reference to funding further [extramural] research Dr. Koroshetz replied that "NIH has processes that ensure that research comes in and the most highly meritorious research is funded and that all groups have a fair hearing when they come in." He stated that this is a "tried-and-true" process.

Interestingly, this "tried and true" process has recently been found wanting. A February 2016 study https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/02/160216090128.htm by Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health found that peer review for NIH grants was no better than random selection. One of the study's authors, Arturo Casadevall, stated that the current system is "worse than awarding grants through a lottery.""

actup, Karena, green_monster and 12 others like this.
  2. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member

If it was a lottery we would be much better off.

actup, Karena, jamie and 4 others like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    If I remember correctly, I think the NIH staff also acknowledged that this process wasn't working for ME/CFS?

Karena, Jennifer J, Valentijn and 3 others like this.
  4. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Unger's decision not to include the 2-day CPET is something we really ought to be getting very loud about--
    regarding both the utter folly of the decision itself, and the fact that it is the lead of the study that would even make such a decision.
    There is no excuse for not doing the 2-day CPET. Unless of course you don't really want to know the truth about this disease.

Add to that the roster of questionable psychobabblers, the lack of true experts, the ignorance of all the excellent publications by said experts,
    the absence of at least a few severe patients...

It is curious that they have denied Ron Davis' funding applications, and also Ian Lipkin's--yet invited Lipkin and his prestigious name to
    participate in a study that--for all its truly exciting potential--appears to be being deliberately hobbled.

I was really excited about this and the momentum it expressed, but the more I learn about it, the more I feel thrown under the bus yet again.

actup, Karena, green_monster and 8 others like this.
  5. adreno

adreno PR activist

Yeah, seriously what the hell went wrong with his facial expressions?

leela, Comet and duncan like this.
  6. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Wallit.JPG
    Grimacing Walitt

Karena, leela and duncan like this.
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Dr. Ian Lipkin serves a a member of te Advisory Committee to the Director of NIH - http://acd.od.nih.gov/members.htm

8. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    Is there any reason to think that this advisory committee will have any more authority than CFSAC?

actup likes this.
  9. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Yet wasn't considered worthy of funds to conduct research of his own.

actup, green_monster and jimells like this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

green_monster, leela, jimells and 2 others like this.
  11. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Hi leela, are you referring to the CDC study or the NIH study? If you're referring to the CDC study then Unger says she hasn't ruled out a two day CPET test. If you're referring to the NIH study then they are conducting two CPET tests but we don't know the exact details yet.

Jennifer J likes this.
  12. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    Thank you for clarifying, @Bob. My head is ajumble with all this. Braincells holding a memory of Unger saying no 2-day CPET at some time about some study o_O
    Best to keep watch on this issue, whatever the study.

Jennifer J and Bob like this.
  13. Nielk

Nielk

They don't really specify that they are CPET tests. They state on the new website: " During the inpatient visit, participants will perform a stationary bike exercise test twice. The purpose of the exercise test is to make participants tired and to try to evoke symptoms, such as 'post-exertional malaise'. Tests will be performed before and after exercise testing.".

jamie, jimells, leela and 2 others like this.
  14. duncan

duncan Senior Member

They say they want to evoke PEM? Who says what they want to do with that information?

Maybe their strategy is to put patient candidates in a room with Wallit or Gill for an hour. Those that get angry and then develop PEM withing 24-72 hours could be excluded from the study.

I probably have that wrong somehow...;)

actup, Karena, jamie and 3 others like this.
  15. duncan

duncan Senior Member

I recently had a nuclear stress test with Lexi. About 48 hours later I crashed terribly. I could not follow a conversation. Felt like I would die.

I was afraid I had gone too close to sliding past that point of no return, i.e, the forever crash we all fear we will fall into one day.

For that reason alone, I could never recommend it as a serious research tool to induce PEM.

But there has to be ways to induce PEM - how about listening to patients about what usually works for them, personally?

Jennifer J likes this.
  16. Nielk

Nielk

That is a novel idea - "listening to patients" - or is it an ancient one?

17. jimells

jimells Senior Member

northern Maine
    That really says it all, doesn't it?

mango, Comet and Kati like this.
  18. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    It's not coming out of left field at all. Many of us have had the same reaction to the video. I'd say that at least 100 of us have commented on Walitt's video (among other things) on various threads about him.

My reaction to it:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/details-on-nih-study.43076/page-15#post-699821

You and Mark Twain may both be on to something:
    World run by imbeciles.jpg

Walitt strikes me as an imbecile who really means it.

Izola, actup, Karena and 10 others like this.
  19. Justin30

Justin30 Senior Member

I believe a new thread is in order. There seems too much contested info amongst the community with regard to the NIH study.

I feel that to much good info is being lost to PR thread History. I will start a thread in the General News Section. To capture ideas to be sent to our organizations to contest issues with this study.

leela and Jennifer J like this.
  20. jamie

jamie

Did you see this in another thread? Thought it might be helpful.
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...lems-with-the-me-cfs-study.43799/#post-711248

See more popular forum discussions.