1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS and Beating the Clock
For Jody Smith, the ticking of a clock was enough at one time to chase her back to her bed. But with the passage of time, she has been able to reclaim her living room ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Details of XMRV Study Available

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by mezombie, Oct 13, 2009.

1. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    The UK's NHS has published an article that delves into the methodology and specifics of the XMRV study. For those without access to the original Science article, I think it's very helpful as it adds information not addressed in any accessible articles I've seen to date.

It can be found here:

http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/nhsmental/Does-a-virus-cause-ME.5722026.jp
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    good

Does explain it better then other articles i have read. Its all very promising. I just hope a test comes soon as well as a treatment, especially where i am in australia. Sometimes it can take awhile for medical break throughs from the states to filter through to Australia.
  3. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    Very helpful

I'm glad you liked it, Heapsreal.

Unless I pay, I can't access the Science article in Cort's resource thread. And I felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again in many other articles.

This really answers a lot of my questions in a reader-friendly format.

I hear you about the lag-time between testing and treatment here in the U.S. and in Australia. You've been very clever in getting your doc to prescribe antivirals and antibiotics, so perhaps you'll find a way to speed up the process.
  4. garcia

garcia Aristocrat Extraordinaire

London, UK
  5. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Interesting analysis:

From the aformentioned article in the UK: http://www.tyronetimes.co.uk/nhsmental/Does-a-virus-cause-ME.5722026.jp
  6. mezombie

mezombie Senior Member

East Coast city, USA
    XMRV study methodology in layman's terms

I still think this is a great article for those of us who are too brainfogged due to ME/CFS to read the longer, more detailed Science article.
  7. kamina

kamina Retired account

When I try to download the PDF it takes me to a page that says:

"Subscribe/Join AAAS or Buy Access to This Article to View Full Text. The content you requested requires a AAAS member subscription to this site or Science Pay per Article purchase. If you already have a user name and password, please sign in below."

Basically, you do have to pay, unless I'm missing something. :confused:

The only thing you're allowed to view for free is the abstract.
  8. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

9. kamina

kamina Retired account

10. Noah_Scape

Noah_Scape

Tidbit

Trivial:
    Sadly, at the bottom of the Tyrone Times story about the Study Details, it says "Related: Mental Health".

Perhaps that is their attitude at Tyrone Times; makes me wonder if they get CFS yet.
  11. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Suzy Chapman dxrevisionwatch.com

UK
    NHS Choices article

This article was originally published on the UK NHS Choices website on 9 October 09.

It appeared in the News section listed in Categories under Mental Health along with Mediterranean diet fights for depression , Smacking and childrens IQ, Antidepressants and pregnancy and others!

Following representations by some UK patients, it was, with a day or two, shifted to the "Neurological" Category.

It's difficult to locate the article now through the search function but it can be found at the original URL which is:

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2009/10October/Pages/Does-a-virus-cause-ME.aspx

This is the page for "Chronic fatigue syndrome"

http://www.nhs.uk/me/introduction.aspx
  12. oerganix

oerganix Senior Member

all samples from outbreak areas?

It seems to me that this idea has already been refuted on this forum, but don't remember where. If it's misinformation, it's been repeated a lot of times.
  13. anne

anne Guest

Right. That outbreak stuff is wrong.

See more popular forum discussions.