Looking Ahead to Change: Little by Little
I don't make New Year's Resolutions. I don't think I ever really did, but the last decade or two would have been enough to stifle that impulse. I've just been too aware that I don't have that much control over what happens in my life.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DeSalvo on Data Sharing

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by JaimeS, Jul 28, 2016.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    http://www.healthcareitnews.com/new...ture-interoperability-and-health-data-sharing

Very interesting -- DeSalvo is the Acting Assistant Secretary for HHS in the US -- a pretty high-up position, despite the 'acting' and 'assistant' in the title. ;)

-J

2. Richard7

Richard7 Senior Member

Australia
    @JaimeS I do not know anything about the local healthcare system and politics around it, but the article seems to be about institutions sharing patient reccords.

3. undiagnosed

undiagnosed Senior Member

United States
    While I think it is undoubtedly good that there is an effort improve interoperability, I'm not sure this approach will be widely adopted; at least not in the near future. I looked into it a bit and this was primarily dealing with open interfaces for sharing electronic health records between providers and patients in the form of FHIR (Fast Health Interoperability Resources) based apps. The government has a national objective to achieve health data interoperability by the end of 2018. I'm not sure what the metrics for meeting that goal are, but it will be a ways off in any case. In addition, I'm not sure how the data will be accessed and what restrictions may be placed on it. I would just like to remind everyone of grassroots efforts here for sharing data where patients are in complete control of the data. For anyone who hasn't seen the threads, you can find out more here and here if you'd like to get involved.

See more popular forum discussions.