• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depsression linked to Gastric Irritiation in Neonates

Glynis Steele

Stomach complaints such as irritable bowel syndrome could result in depression, a surprising study suggests.

Scientists at Stanford University found short-term digestive irritation early in life could have massive implications for mental health later on.

'A lot of research has focused on understanding how the mind can influence the body,' said lead author Dr Pankaj Pasricha. 'But this study suggests that it can be the other way around. Gastric irritation during the first few days of life may reset the brain into a permanently depressed state.'

As not all stomach upsets lead to lifelong psychological problems the impact may depend on when it occurs during a person's development. It could also be related to their genetic makeup.

About one in five people experience persistent or recurring pain in the upper abdomen, suffering from conditions such as IBS. Researchers have long noted that these people are also more likely than their peers to be anxious or depressed.

Up until now it was assumed that stress hormones associated with a patient's altered mood were responsible for their digestive problems.

However, Dr Pasricha believes the opposite could be true noting that many patients date their gastrointestinal problems back to early childhood, before their psychological symptoms started. Therefore he suggests these digestive disturbances could cause mood disorders.

To read more, click the link below

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...linked-stomach-problems-experienced-baby.html

Here is an excerpt of the article, study done on rats. The link is below to read the full text.

A recent study has suggested that symptom severity in patients with functional dyspepsia is strongly associated with psychosocial factors (depression, abuse history) and somatization, and only to a lesser extent by gastric sensorimotor function [5]. However, psychological abnormalities could either be driving abdominal symptoms or conversely, could be a result of gastrointestinal abnormalities. Answering this question in humans may be difficult because of the need for longitudinal studies that document the onset of psychosocial dysfunction in relationship to visceral symptoms [30]. On the other hand, a causal relationship is easier to explore in experimental models. In this study, we therefore used a previously validated rat model of functional dyspepsia, induced by early life gastric irritation, to examine the relationship between FD and psychological manifestations. We show that transient gastric irritation in the neonatal period can result in long lasting depression-like behavior, impaired HPA axis and upregulation of hypothalamic CRF. Taken together with our previously published data on gastric hypersensitivity and impaired accommodation [11] these results therefore provide an alternative explanation for the strong association between functional disorders and the well-described neuropsychiatric manifestations

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0019498

Glynis x

drex13

I agree and have argued this with my doctor(s), and argied it with a nurse friend of mine last week. Docotrs want to automatically label your gastro upset, IBS, etc as having a psycological cause, when I have argued for years that I'm fine upstairs as long as I'm fine downstairs. When my digestive system goes south, then my mental state soon follows.