• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depression on Naltrexone

IreneF

I'm a medicated depressive and I haven't had any problem with LDN. I take 4.5 mg. However, it makes sense that by blocking opioid receptors it could have a depressive effect, since opioids are known to be antidepressants.

Cheesus

I think that if the LDN is doing something for you as it seems to be, then it is probably to be expected that your whole system is changing.... So although physically you feel a bit better, perhaps in your brain, the neurotransmitters have been thrown into disarray... (Perhaps a bit like when your thyroid levels change too quickly). I would hope that this symptom will settle as you find a better 'new normal'.
Fingers crossed!

Yes, you could be right. There is a lot changing and it may just be that everything is adjusting. I am definitely going to hang on in there for a while because I simply cannot return to how sick I was before now. The depression would have to be very severe for me to give up on this path.