Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Depression is a physical illness which could be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, scientists sug

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by hinterland, Sep 10, 2017.

1. hinterland

hinterland

2. ChrisD

ChrisD Senior Member

East Sussex
    I hope that people don't draw parallels between this article and the recent ''CFS is a real inflammatory illness' and then conclude that they are the same thing :bang-head:

ebethc and TigerLilea like this.
  3. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Other mental health conditions such as bipolar, OCD and schizophrenia have also been linked to brain inflammation. I am glad to see that mental health conditions are increasing been seen as physical diseases in the brain, rather that psychogenic conditions.

4. mhrps

mhrps

Actually there are a few concepts of depression - mitochondrial, inflammatory, oxidative, and neurotransmitter imbalance.

TrixieStix likes this.
  5. ebethc

ebethc Senior Member

I think there's some traction w schizophrenia being seen as an immune disorder... since the discovery of the glymphatic system (the brain's lymphatic system), there have been additional studies connecting problems in the glymphatic system w schizophrenia... hopefully, some help is on the way for the sufferers

ScottTriGuy likes this.
  6. IThinkImTurningJapanese

IThinkImTurningJapanese Senior Member

Japan
    People are most likely to think what they are most comfortable thinking.

We are living the uncomfortable truth.

lior, Skycloud and ChrisD like this.
  7. lior

lior

London
    It's probably all more linked up than we can fathom at this point.

I have experienced depression in the past, with good reason - long term emotional abuse from family, and multiple experiences of sexual abuse from boyfriends and strangers. I'm not sure if I would have experienced depression without all that. It surely isn't as simple as an inflammatory problem?

CFS and depression are certainly not the same. I'd know! I wonder if developing our understanding of the inter-connectedness of things will help scientists find new links and patterns. I hope so.

JohnCB likes this.
  8. mhrps

mhrps

In your case it could be the oxidative stress factor.

lior likes this.
  9. Hip

Hip Senior Member

We all know that depression can be caused by life events; but it is possible that may be different from the depression that is caused by underlying physical abnormalities of the brain, abnormalities such as neuroinflammation.

Or it may be that people who experience depression from life events may be predisposed to doing so, by having latent abnormalities of the brain that manifest into depression in times of adverse life events.

lior and ScottTriGuy like this.
  10. hinterland

hinterland

I think the article also references the claim that trauma/ psychological distress can trigger immune activation. Which, if you accept, means the depression is driven by inflammation hypothesis holds up whether attributed to biological factors like infection, or psychological. This all makes it quite complicated figuring out what is going on and where it is most efficacious to intervene, but trials of anti-inflammatory agents seem reasonable.

I thought the article was an interesting read but muddled in places. I'm not sure that chest pain due to anxiety (panic attack?) involves the immune system, rather the ANS. At one point I thought the author was going suggest it possible to manifest fatal levels of TNF, just by having bad thoughts.

lior and ScottTriGuy like this.

See more popular forum discussions.