• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Depression after eating liver

So I get depressed after a few days of regular eating of fried chicken liver. Anyone experienced this before? Does excessive vitamin A in the chicken liver push down vitamin D in the body and cause depression/fatigue? Or is it excessive b12 in the chicken liver? Or excessive copper??

helen1

It's high in folate. That can speed up methylation, especially paired with B12, and cause problems with downstream effects if you don't build up slowly.
@manoj

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
15 minutes of sunlight will fully recharge your vitamin D so try that and see if it affects your liver caused symptoms. My guess is that it will not.

Thanks Helen for the insight into folate in liver. I have upped my methylfolate intake up to 100 mg per day, yes 100 mg. And that helped greatly, along with 1000IU of Vitamin D3 daily. I have on another occasion become depressed after taking 25,000 IU of Vitamin A capsule for about 3 days continuously.

overtheedge

Liver and other organ meats are high in copper, if you have high copper for any reason it could be made much worse by eating such meats. High copper levels can cause depression and CFS. A lot of info on copper toxicity is hard to verify so I can't really tell you what to do if it is the case that it's causing you some issues aside from reading online about it and running tests/trying out treatmets if you do think copper toxicity matches your symptoms