• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Deplin for depression

Hi has anybody tried Deplin ? . I have read some encouraging stuff on the internet with regards to it helping with depression or helping your antidepressant work better. I would be interested if anyone has some feedback with regard to this. I would much rather be taking something that may be addressing a folate problem than taking too much psych meds. Thanks.

Rand56

Hi has anybody tried Deplin ? . I have read some encouraging stuff on the internet with regards to it helping with depression or helping your antidepressant work better. I would be interested if anyone has some feedback with regard to this. I would much rather be taking something that may be addressing a folate problem than taking too much psych meds. Thanks.

hi kiteman

I tried the larger doses of l-methylfolate for my depression. I tried the 7.5mg first with no response and even upped it to 15mg. I had no response to that dose either. I felt I gave it ample time. Worth a shot to try if you can handle even smaller doses of it. Just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it won't work for you or others. From what I understand, if it does work for you it's still not a quick fix, I'd give it atleast a month. I've been a non-responder before with many AD's so take that for what it's worth.

nanonug

Hi has anybody tried Deplin?

I currently take 5mg of methylfolate every day, in the morning (Thorne 5-MTHF 5mg). It makes a huge difference in terms of my energy levels, both mental and physical. In my opinion, anyone with a chronic disease should address the neurotransmitter issue. Otherwise, depression will eventually ensue.

"Overdosing" on methylfolate works by forcing the methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase (MTHFR) enzyme to work in reverse, recycling BH2 (dihydrobiopterin) back into BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin). Tetrahydrobiopterin is an essential cofactor in the production of all neurotransmitters.

A cute little video about methylfolate/BH4: L-methylfolate - Mechanism of Action.

And a more technical paper: THE ROLE OF L-METHYLFOLATE IN DEPRESSIVE DISORDERS.