• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Deplin feeling nothing like Metafolin

Alright so i just typed out my entire post and accidentally deleted it. yay

So I was having very positive reactions to Metafolin 1000mcg. Was going up to like 15 mg well tolerated. mb12/adb12 in check, playing with levels. LCF/Potassium in check as well. Got myself some generic Deplin (L-Methylfolate Calcium) thinking this is going to be the same experience, only now I could really ramp it up to the levels that I apparently need. This has not been the case. It is a noticable difference, it is not nearly as immediate and powerful, it kind of comes and goes, it is unreliable and it just doesn't feel the same as Metafolin though I was under the impression it was bioidentical. Who knows if the additives in it are making the difference or not but this is not the same experience for me. I've made it up to 45 mg / day before I conceded to the fact that this just isn't the same stuff.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction? Metafolin was exactly how I wanted to feel, it was very good for me.

Now I'm looking for alternative sources of methylfolate and I'm thinking about Magnafolate-C, it's supposed to be identical as well, and without all the ridiculous additives of pharmaceuticals.

Does anyone have experience with Deplin, L-Methylfolate calcium, or Magnafolate-C? I'd like to make a purchase of the Magnafolate to see if I react similarly to how I did with Metafolin but if I could gather some information on others experience before shelling out another ridiculous amount of money that'd be great.

Thanks!

Yeah I'm feeling more off of 10mg Magnafolate-C than I am off of the 15mg L Methylfolate Calcium. I don't know what was up with that stuff but in my experience it is garbage. I stopped feeling anything from the L-MFC a couple weeks ago but I get a distinct response from Magnafolate. I would definitely recommend it over any of the others. I've tried Extrafolate and L-MFC. Metafolin I did like more actually but so many variables have changed since then it's impossible to make a fair comparison.

Aerose91

Fwiw i just switched over to the methyl life magnafolate because i needed higher doses and havent had as good of an experience with it as metfolin. Unfortuna i can't afford to take as much metolin as is needed so i guess il stick to the magnafolate

Aerose91

Hey @AlmostEasy can you give a comparison of the magnafolate vs metafolin? I was on 15 mg metafolin and went up to 22 of magnafolate and had a really, really bad setback. I was literally waking up in the middle of the night with the same symptoms of bad overexertion- when its bad to the point of long term damage. My sleep has been trashed since then- im waking up at 3 am like its morning and therefore dealing with some serious sleep deprivation. It doesnt seem to be getting better.

Have you noticed any major differences? Im windering if the calcium salt is a factor.

Thanks for any help.

Aerose91

Most definitely not potassium. These are serious brain issues such as psychosis, dementia and loss of cognitive functions. Exact same as overexertion.

Aerose91

I read that, too. I really dont know the difference or what the factor would be. Significant, though.

I've switched back to just plain Metafolin. I was just buying bulk Solgar 1000 mcg bundles but switched to PipingRock Metafolin since the tabs are tiny and it's about $6 cheaper for the 1000 mcg x 60 x 2 bundle. I haven't properly tested PipingRock vs Solgar.

If you're having issues I'd go to Solgar immediately to calm them down then when you have room to play maybe try it vs PipingRock for cost.

I have NO idea why the difference is so significant. Magnafolate is supposed to be nearly identical, but in my experience and a friends it is markedly different. I have no explanation.

I wish I could change this title from "Deplin" to "L-Methylfolate Calcium" as well. I believe Deplin legitimately is Metafolin and not whatever LMCF may be. Though I have not tested it and theory hasn't done so well in regards to methylfolate so I may be wrong but I know people who have serious issues are using Deplin effectively

Cheers

Aerose91

I stopped it almost a week ago but the damage still remains, unfortunately. Ill go back to metafolin if/when i recover but i can't afford to take the dose i need. Thinking i may just lay off on the methylation