Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Depersonalization/Derealization and brain fog

Discussion in 'Cognition' started by sleepingbeautyxxx, Aug 14, 2017.

1. cmt12

cmt12 Senior Member

Derealization is part of the growth process. The appropriate response is to look for inward stability to counter the external chaos. It’s also helpful to set aside alone time to limit the stress.

2. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

Hi Wayne,
    We saw someone who assesses (usually children) for neurodevelopmental delays. Lots of tests including - for auditory processing - a Tomatis Listening Test audiogram which measures air and bone conduction thresholds for volume of sound, pitch discrimination, auditory - spacial awareness. My understanding of how the Tomatis method is supposed to work is that if the middle ear muscles aren't well toned this can lead to all kinds of sensory issues, tiredness, overwhelm in severe cases.
    My younger child had more obvious problems with lower and highest frequencies. Presenting mostly as tiredness and/or withdrawal in certain settings - familiar to me, as I have it too.
    We had the older child tested too, more for curiosity. Presentation is very different - ie no obvious problems with sounds, except maybe pitch discrimination presenting as needing to work harder than average on intonation in music learning. But he has mild vertigo, is very light sensitive, has a negative reaction to some textures...and as it turned out an even more significant auditory processing insufficiency that we never would have anticipated!
    I will PM you a couple of further resources so you can learn more if you want to.
    Anne.

Wayne and PatJ like this.
  3. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    Hi Anne,

Thanks for this pretty remarkable information, and thank you for your offer. Unfortunately, I'm still in recovery mode after a major move this past February/March, and am still in recovery mode. So not really able to follow up on things. I may contact you down the road a bit if I feel I have the capacity to possibly follow up. -- Thank You!

Wayne

anne_likes_red likes this.
  4. Creachur

Creachur

My brain fog is not only a misty hard-to-see-through sort of thing but sometimes it's like a kaleidoscope in which my senses perceive in fragmented parts. If you see what I mean!

anne_likes_red and pattismith like this.

See more popular forum discussions.