• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dental woes...root canals etc

xrayspex

Say I am considering getting a root canal very soon because of pain when bite and temperature sensitivity---its tricky diagnostically because crown blocks view on tooth bothers me most and the other 2 teeth next to it have old fillings and are sore too---but no infecion/abcess shows up on xray so its more my call and endos whether to do it

and my decision is complicated by the other health things...cervical spine sensitivity and old head injuries to where drilling bothers my whole upper half as well as autoimmune

but I am concerned that the teeth problems raise my pain levels and brain fog altho I guess root canal is no 100% solution and will flare me for possibly weeks (or more or less) after
I am not interested in implants and extractions hurt me worse physically
I know all about Weston Price but at this point I fiigure I only have 20 possibly-marginally ok years left on this planet so not as worried about big picture anymore

anyway--have any of you just left teeth in that were bothering you when infection wasnt obvious to dentist yet and just put up with the pain?

Ian

anyway--have any of you just left teeth in that were bothering you when infection wasnt obvious to dentist yet and just put up with the pain?

My girl friend did that with a pre-molar that had abscessed. I took her to the dentist to have it surgically removed, and also had cavitation on the extraction socket. Anyway 10 days later her heart problems had totally disappeared, and her health was markedly improved.

whodathunkit

Please don't just leave the problem. Also be careful with root canals, as I've heard they can cause more problems. Just because an infection isn't obvious to the dentist doesn't mean there isn't one. It means you might want to go to a different dentist, if you can. Preferrably a "biologic" dentist that will ensure everything is clean after extraction or whatever procedure you have done. As happened with @Ian's girlfriend, getting problems with your mouth properly cleaned up can help a very great deal with health. I think some dental work I had done last year helped me quite a bit, although it's hard to know just how much since I was doing so many other new things at the time.

Last edited:

Eeyore

I'm in the opposite position. My dentist says there is some decay around my back left molar and that I need a crown lengthening, but it isn't bothering me much, so I'm ignoring it for now. You can see it on xray usually long before symptoms usually.

Don’t just leave your teeth that are bothering you, it may cause some other health issue. I had a similar situation and just ignored it, but the condition became worse and then consulted my family dentist Dr. Ken Wolch in Toronto and did root canal. He scolded me for not consulting him when I had severe tooth pain. The tooth was sensitive for the first few days after the treatment. Dr. Ken told me it's because of the pain I had before and had given me counter pain medication (ibuprofen). He also asked me not to chew from the side of the mouth of the affected teeth. It will be fine after a few days, so just go for it.