1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Give ME the Money
Graham McPhee spells out some of the cold, hard facts about the dismal state of ME research and politics, and has some suggestions as to what we can do about it ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Den Project Appeal for Gillian McCarthy, ME/MCS sufferer

Discussion in 'Phoenix Rising Articles' started by Phoenix Rising Team, Jan 1, 2013.

1. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    Yes, many people don't have insurance, so they go without preventative care. Then when what started out as a small problem eventually gets very bad, they go to the emergency room to get treated. This is, of course, very expensive.

However, if your income is low enough, the hospital will write off a large portion or even all of your bill. However, if you have too much income, then you're stuck with paying a huge bill. This can put many people into bankruptcy. It's not uncommon (at least among my musician friends) to have fundraisers for people who got sick and couldn't pay their medical bills.

Anyway, this will be changing as the new "Obamacare" phases in over the next several years.

2. KayAnne

KayAnne

There is a web site called give forward that allows people to donate to a friend or family member. Not sure if it will transfer to the uk but worth a try. It's worth a try to google it and find out. So many people in dire need and so few ways for a hand up.

3. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    Thank you KayAnne, and I am sorry to have been so long in responding to your post. I have checked out Give Forward and it looks a very good way of raising money for friends or family, but on the FAQ it makes it clear that at the moment it only covers the U.S.

We did look at other similar schemes that might be active in the UK but none of them were suitable for a short time project as it had to be a registered charity.

4. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just had a bit of a google, looking for an update and found this:

http://www.thatroundhouse.info/06.htm

UPDATE Jan 9th 2013
    Updates are very infrequent when we have so much cloud and rain - almost no solar electricity. Sorry about that. Two major developments have taken place recently.
    The first is the mission to build scientist and Multiple ChemicaL Sensitivity sufferer Gillian McCarthy a heatable den for the winter. This has been a very interesting and challenging project in Somerset which still continues, thanks to the efforts of a stalwart band of natural builders. More updates, pics and info on the Facebook page Gillian McCarthy Den, which may be here

. The project is still desperately in need of donations for materials and expenses, but is going well. Please help if you can.

The Gillian McCarthy Den Facebook page (you have to be logged in to see it) is here:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/294018037381751

and the latest entry (15th January) from Tony Wrench, who I think is in charge of the building project, says:

It's going well but slowly. The roof will be done next week then week after that will be walls and floor. I haven't been there to take pics but Simon is sending some recent ones and they will be up here this weekend.

I really hope she's OK - there's snow in her region and it's going to last for a couple of days at least.

(Sorry about all the weird formatting, it's from copying & pasting stuff from all over the internet and I can't get rid of it!)

mermaid and Little Bluestem like this.
  5. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    Thank you for that Sasha. I have been in contact with ITV West Country again and they should be coming back to film around 7/8th Feb all being well. The snow has really held things up there but hopefully it's going to warm up for a bit now.

6. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, mermaid - do you know how Gillian is? I was worried about her in the snow, and the building not yet finished for her to be in.

7. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    So sorry Sasha, for some reason I am not getting messages telling me when a post has been made on here, and have not looked as often as I did at the start.
    I know that Gillian has been managing to stay in reasonable spirits despite the snow. I think that having people on site has helped enormously as they can keep an eye on her, although as you say it's not ideal as the Den is not yet finished.
    However good progress is now being made, and ITV Westcountry are coming back to film this Thursday, so some of us will be able to see progress. I also am going to ask ITV to post the film on their website, as they did last time, and then it can be saved and hopefully put on Vimeo to be viewed more widely.

8. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Thanks, mermaid - I'm glad Gillian has made it reasonably OK through the worst of the weather but it must have been a wretched experience.

I'll look forward to seeing the TV coverage - I thought they did a good job last time.

9. synapse13

synapse13

Home
    Organophosphates have long been recognized as one of the causes for ME/CFS symptoms and it definitely appears that those with MCS are much more likely to be those who have organophosphate and/or organochlorine poisoning. It does not however invalidate the viral and bacterial hypotheses for the other subsets of ME/CFS. See "Enteroviral and Toxin Mediated Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Other Organ Pathologies" by Montero and Richardson.

See more popular forum discussions.