The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Demystifying chronic kidney disease: Clinical caveats for the family physician

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by CFS_for_19_years, Apr 29, 2015.

1. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    I wanted to post this article because chronic kidney disease (CKD) is prevalent in patients with CFS/ME and it's essential to have follow-up care to check for abnormalities. This article had the best information I've ever found in one place about what that follow-up care needs to be.

I was looking around the Internet for info on chronic kidney disease, and more specifically, what should be done when the estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR) is consistently below 60. (Mine is hovering around 60, but seems to bounce back and forth between 55 and 65, never quite reaching the status of "chronic kidney disease.") This articles speaks directly about what to do when the eGFR is consistently below 60.

The eGFR is calculated from a serum creatinine value. Even though one's creatinine can be in the normal reference range, the gold standard for staging kidney disease is to calculate the eGFR and determine where to go from there. Sometimes the eGFR is already calculated for you on your lab report, and if it's above 60, sometimes it will say just that, "above 60", as in "not to worry, dear."

Here's one online calculator so you can see how it's calculated:
    http://www.kidney.org/professionals/KDOQI/gfr_calculator

That should give you some good background for this article, published by the British Columbia Medical Journal in 2008.

http://www.bcmj.org/article/demystifying-chronic-kidney-disease-clinical-caveats-family-physician
    Demystifying chronic kidney disease: Clinical caveats for the family physician

I'm going to quote from the middle of the article:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    MCRobbie and sianrecovery like this.
  2. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    I have medullary sponge kidney, and abnormalities in the metabolism of calcium. There's s vicious cycle of calcification and infection and then inflammation. This is a really useful link, thanks for posting.

See more popular forum discussions.