• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Demonstration of mast cell chemotactic activity in synovial fluid from rheumatoid patients

nanonug

I would expect ME/CFS patients to have higher rates of rheumatoid arthritis, if it is indeed true that ME/CFS is just an undiagnosed Mast Cell Activation Disorder.

Ann Rheum Dis. 2001 Mar;60(3):187-93.
Demonstration of mast cell chemotactic activity in synovial fluid from rheumatoid patients.

Olsson N, Ulfgren AK, Nilsson G.
Source

Department of Genetics and Pathology, Uppsala University, Uppsala, Sweden.
Abstract

OBJECTIVES:

The significance of the mast cell in the pathogenesis of rheumatic diseases has become more evident. Although mast cell hyperplasia is a feature of rheumatoid arthritis, the nature of mast cell chemoattractants involved in the recruitment of mast cells in joint diseases has not been studied in any detail. In this study the presence of mast cell chemotactic activity in synovial fluids was examined.
METHODS:

Synovial fluids from seven rheumatoid patients were tested in a modified Boyden chamber, where a human mast cell line was used as responder. The presence of stem cell factor (SCF) and transforming growth factor beta (TGFbeta) was measured by enzyme linked immunosorbent assay (ELISA).
RESULTS:

Six of the seven synovial fluids tested exhibited mast cell chemotactic activity. Two characterised human mast cell chemotaxins, SCF and TGFbeta, were highly expressed in the synovium. Soluble SCF could be detected in all fluids analysed. Blocking antibodies against SCF or TGFbeta almost completely blocked the activity in one fluid, partially blocked the activity in three, and did not affect the activity in two. Treatment of the responder cells with pertussis toxin reduced the migratory response against seven fluids, indicating the presence of chemoattractants mediating their effect through G(i) coupled receptors.
CONCLUSION:

These data demonstrate the presence of multiple factors in synovial fluid acting as mast cell chemoattractants, two of which are SCF and TGFbeta that contribute to the effect. These findings may be of importance for developing new strategies to inhibit mast cell accumulation in rheumatic diseases.

PMID: 11171676

camas

My mom has diagnoses of FM and RA. She also has the skin lesions that my dermatologist identified as TMEP, as did her father and my brother. There's no doubt in my mind that mast cell issues are at the heart of the ill health that has plagued my family.