1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Lipkin Microbiome Crowdfunding Campaign Launches!
An ambitious $1.27m international, patient-led fundraising campaign storms into action. Sasha invites you to join it!
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Demographic of MALES!

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Francelle, Jun 21, 2010.

1. RustyJ

RustyJ Contaminated Cell Line 'RustyJ'

Brisbane, Aust
    There does appear to be a change in the language WPI is using. In the Q&A section of XMRV Research, 2nd question down (new): 'Retroviruses do not discriminate based on age, sex or any other characteristic listed.' http://www.wpinstitute.org/xmrv/xmrv_qa.html

Note this only refers to XMRV not to the development of ME. And they still have the female/male disparity in the patient resources FAQs.
  2. Mya Symons

Mya Symons Mya Symons

Wyoming
    Maybe it has something to do with XMRV. My husband and I have CFS/FMS. He was quicker to be diagnosed and the doctor was more willing to hear from him his opinions on CFS--Regarding it may be caused by an infection rather than psychological. Maybe the doctor was more quick to say he might be right because I have CFS also (and he has some relatives who also have FMS or CFS). However, I do not think so. I don't remember him saying he mentioned the other relatives. I think women are more likely to be told that this disease is psychological and they are just depressed. This is just my opinion of course--It is not a fact.
  3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    For what its worth I am male.

I think this illness for males brings some different dimensions to it, for example, as a male i found it (and still find it) hard not being physically strong. I used to be strong and fit, and feel felt my instinct to protect as being satisfied. Now, I find it hard carrying the shopping in from the car, so its hard to accept that weakness as a male.

From all i have seen and read (which I think includes survey results?) more females get this than males. Probably even if some males with mild ME/CFS dont seek diagnosiss, there still would seem to be way more females with the illness. This would not be the only illness like this, there are plenty of other illnesses which affect one gender more than the other.

What i find interesting is that most females when pregnant have a lessening or even complete lack of ME/CFS symptoms while they are pregnant - at least this is what my local ME clinic told me. That has to be worth some research, if no one has already looked closely at it.
  4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

(OT?) Pregnancy and CFS

It might be worth studying but is not as clear-cut as your local ME clinic makes out.

Full free text at: http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/pmidlookup?view=long&pmid=14980991

*Abstract says 20% but this is wrong. But I have seen the 20% figure quoted a lot. There is a big difference between 20% and 50%!!

See more popular forum discussions.