• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

dementia and severe brain problems

SDSue

Southeast
Well hypo perfusion is another huge component for a lot of people so this is something else to take into consideration too, literally working with half your normal brain due to decreased oxygen levels.
Because vascular type dementia is essentially reduced blood flow to the brain, albeit from a different mechanism, it makes sense that our "dementia" would be eerily similar, but of a milder and reversible form.
In the course of my illness, I've had distinct cognitive deficits -- poor memory, poor focus, word-finding problems, and so on. At other times, maybe even simultaneously, I've had something that is much better described as brain fog. It is more like walking around in a mental fog, not the same as actual cognitive deficits. Perhaps it is related to mental fatigue, while the other symptoms are more connected to mild encephalitis?
Hmmm. I'm not sure I understand brain fog. Maybe I don't have it? Maybe it was so long ago I don't remember? Maybe I jumped straight to the encephalitis-type deficits? This is so very basic, I know, but can you better describe brain fog?

Is it the feeling that visual and auditory information is jumbled and my brain can't keep up - like being on a merry-go-round (carousel) when you can't quite pin down objects in the distance because they move by too quickly?

amaru7

As B12 and/or folate deficiencies are common among people on this site (most prooved due to genetics) , did you get checked for these with blood tests (though they may not show up even if you are low) ? Are your COMT polymorphisms the only ones on a Methylation profile?
I did testing, folate was low, B12 just fine. I used to take them both before though and it never improved my dementia like symptoms actually.
As for COMT, yes it's the only one. I also have nat, sod, gst done but no other methylation SNPs

I'm convinced that my issue comes from malfunctioning mitochondria. It is important for the energy production for all cells including the brain (it uses 20% of all energy, relatively high compared to its size of 3%)

Cheesus

Well hypo perfusion is another huge component for a lot of people so this is something else to take into consideration too, literally working with half your normal brain due to decreased oxygen levels.

I'm curious, would Gingko Bilbao mitigate hypo-perfusion?

And sorry, Amaru, I have had some weird, horrible symptoms, but, apart from when my brain hits a brick wall of fatigue, cognitive difficulties aren't one of them. Having said that, I can't read a book because it is too energy intensive.

Martial

I'm curious, would Gingko Bilbao mitigate hypo-perfusion?

And sorry, Amaru, I have had some weird, horrible symptoms, but, apart from when my brain hits a brick wall of fatigue, cognitive difficulties aren't one of them. Having said that, I can't read a book because it is too energy intensive.

Yes absolutely it is commonly used for perfusion of the brain! I use it three times a day. Also something else that helps a lot are certain enzymes like Bromolein, Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, Papain, Trypsin, and Chymotrypsin. I think CoQ10 is also supposed to help. I actually buy a formula blend that contains all the enzymes called inflamezyme by Biogenesis pharm, then take the CoQ10, and Gingko Billbao like mentioned before. It helped a lot but I also experienced head aches from taking all of it together, or maybe from another supplement near the same time. Trying to figure that one out but figured it could be related to gaining better blood flow again, or possibly a side effect of the Gingko.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
I couldn't take Gingko - wired feeling yet again! Interesting @Martial that you mention chymotrypsin - my genova CDSA showed low chymotrypsin levels - I asked my ME doc at the time if I should supplement directly with it and she said no need.

Ha! even though I have the brain ability to study and wrote essays for my degree course (it's a painful process) I couldn't remember what thread I was just writing on, or why I was even responding - had to scroll back to the top to see the thread title, and even then couldn't remember why I was here.

Those are the sort of issues I am now having trouble with - used to be word retrieval was a big problem, and also could think the word, but a different word would come out of my mouth, or just wouldn't be able to say it. Luckily always been able to read and watch TV - thank god!

But now I seem to have a nasty blankness in my brain pretty much all the time. I can concentrate on study for about an hour, but after that my brain is shot. Today I am in a crash - npo idea what from and I keep forgetting why I am having certain conversations. Also have acquired dyslexia now and typing is slower than normal - brain cant keep up.

I always used to have incessant brain chatter - in fact when I was younger it was too much, but these days it is blank. My hiusband sometimes asks what am I thinking about and mostly there is nothing going on in there - he always seems surprised at this - literally a big blank hole.

sorry garbled talk...