• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Delving Deeper into Methylation - MTHFR 4/30/15 via Designs for Health

pogoman

Interesting read, the supplement advice appears to correlate with my experience with choline and riboflavin in helping my symptoms.
I tried TMG a couple years back but it did not help me at the time, I had not found out yet that I had to build mitochondrial support up before methylation supplements would start to work.
So I think I will try it again :)

When supporting methylation pathways, it is important consider synergistic nutrients in addition to folate and vitamin B12. In some of the toughest cases, the patient will not get effective lowering of homocysteine until choline is supplemented. Choline converts to betaine with the help of riboflavin and aids methylation in this step of the pathway. In addition, TMG (trimethylglycine) provides extra methyl groups. The most common block in the homocysteine pathway is the conversion of cystathionine to cysteine, which requires vitamin B6 to activate the cystathionine beta-synthase enzyme. Serine is also needed along with B6 to help convert homocysteine into cystathionine.

And I noticed this also.
My homocysteine was tested normal during the worst of my myopathy issues.

It is important to note that there are many patients with MTHFR SNPs that do not have an elevated homocysteine level.

Last edited: