• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dehydration, hypoglycemia, aldosterone & cortisol

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Arginine is a well known precursor of NO @MeSci
It's also a component of vasopressin, hence a connection with polyuria?

This Wikipedia article refers to a number of species differences with regard to vasopressin. Such differences occur in a wide range of biomolecules - a major reason for the poor predictive power of non-human animal experiments for humans.

Sometimes the results agree; sometimes they don't, so we are in effect no wiser after the animal research than we were before it.

Violeta

So the frequent urination could be caused by either low aldosterone or low arginine vasopressin. Frequent urination caused by low aldosterone would cause salt wasting and low salt levels. But I think frequent urination caused by vasopressin causes high salt levels with low potassium levels because the kidneys

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
So the frequent urination could be caused by either low aldosterone or low arginine vasopressin. Frequent urination caused by low aldosterone would cause salt wasting and low salt levels. But I think frequent urination caused by vasopressin causes high salt levels with low potassium levels because the kidneys
Yes - aldosterone increases retention of sodium and water, whereas vasopressin mainly increases retention of water.

picante

I've been struggling with that article because his English is so damn ambiguous. Especially stuff like this:
The lowered glucose levels in hypoglycemic range occur before the two-hour postglucose load.

Gaaaah! Does he mean before the two-hour mark after glucose loading???? What he actually said was that two hours after giving glucose they "load" something. The hypoglycemia occurs before that. Sheeeeeesh.

Anyway. I'm wondering about this:
I found an insulin test from 2009 as well. The post-prandial insulin was measured in the noon saliva sample of a 24-hour cortisol test. No doubt I followed instructions and had a carby meal an hour before.
Fasting ˂3 [3-12 uIU/mL]
Post-prandial ˂3 [5-20 uIU/mL]
Those are saliva measurements. Are they going to be low when blood glucose is low?

And this:
My blood glucose is always 60 when I'm fasting, and usually 80 when I've had something to eat before going to the lab (say, 90-120 minutes before). It has been this way for as long as I've been getting tests (20 years).
So does my blood glucose ever go up? I ask because I've never seen a reading above 80, even after eating. Granted, I don't do glucose loading at home, LOL.

All these articles on hypoglycemia talk about people nodding off an hour or more after eating. I start feeling drugged while eating or immediately after. Drugged as in Dorothy in the poppy field. Is this acetaldehyde? I deduced that it can't possibly be high histamine, because that's an awake hormone. It wakes you up. Antihistamines put you to sleep.