• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dehydration, hypoglycemia, aldosterone & cortisol

Violeta

I've started taking Citicoline, and I already take B1 and E. I don't tolerate licorice well. I'm trying a rehydration drink made of water, salt, maple syrup and fresh lime juice.

I am going to try the rehydration drink. Sounds good. I bought some limes today, but should have bought some coconut water, too.

A tangent, I know, but maybe someone can help. When I drink raw milk the night time urination increases exponentially. That made me wonder if my problem is more from calcification of kidney tubules than lack of ADH. Or does milk affect something else?

When I take reishi night time urination decreases. Cordyceps does not help with night time urination, and if my memory serves me, which it usually doesn't, it made it worse. I do realize that there can be two different conditions being spoken of here and they might be opposites.

Do your fingertips look very dehydrated? When I press on mine they stay depressed. It had improved at one point but I'm not sure why.

I appreciate this thread.

Violeta

See how reishi and cordyceps have opposite actions. After trying cordyceps and having a bad effect from it, the value of this page increased for me. But I think I should have been paying more attention to it.

. Hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis
This functional axis controls stress reactions and regulates bodily processes including digestion, the immune system, mood and emotions, energy storage and expenditure. Dysfunctions of this axis can lead to mood disorders and functional illnesses, such as anxiety, insomnia, post-traumatic stress disorder, chronic fatigue syndrome, irritable bowel syndrome, and alcoholism.

Chinese herbs that can promote or activate this functional axis include:

rhemannia rhizome pilose asiabell root liquorice root poria
ginseng leaf wolfberry ephedra morinda root
dodder seed
tuber fleeceflower root (he shou wu) reishi mushroom common monkshood daughter root
cassia bark cistanche bupleurum root corydalis rhizome
radish seeds
Chinese herbs that can inhibit this functional axis include:

dried ginger kudzu root baical skullcap root Radix Scrophulariae (xuan shen)
cardamon seeds pinellia tuber anemarrhena rhizome noto-ginseng
Rhizoma Polygonati (huang jing) cordyceps

Sorry for multiple posts, I usually just come back and edit in additions, but I seem to have lost the function of edit.

Violeta

picante

Do your fingertips look very dehydrated? When I press on mine they stay depressed. It had improved at one point but I'm not sure why.
Mine do the same thing. When I pinch my arm, it goes right back, but anywhere on my hands does not.

I just found dried reishi mushroom slices in my cupboard. I wonder what I should do with them.

dannybex

Simplistic and possibly useless: adrenal glandular worked for me, when I could no longer tolerate licorice or low dose cortef. And if the problem is hypothalamus-centered, hypothalamus glandular also gave me near immediate relief from the worst of my symptoms at the time. I was certainly having aldosterone issues at the time, don't know about any of your other issues affecting me at the time.

Do you remember what brand extracts you took @ahmo? The Vitacost Adrenal Complex seems to help me a bit, as it contains other extracts, but no hypothalamus.

Thanks in advance. :)

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
For a long time, I've thought that my adrenal fatigue is really adrenal misregulation.

Many of my usual symptoms are those of low cortisol and low aldosterone, but I know from a cortisol saliva test that my cortisol can shoot up when I exercise. The problem is that what goes up doesn't come down -- for a day or two. After exercise, my polyuria is worse for a day (at least).
The post quoted is from @heapsreal's thread here, by the way. I needed to know what PVN was, so did a search for the original post!

My polyuria seems to be worse after exertion too, but I think I have more than one kind of polyuria, which confuses things.

I sometimes find that it decreases when I eat something.

Violeta

Mine do the same thing. When I pinch my arm, it goes right back, but anywhere on my hands does not.

I just found dried reishi mushroom slices in my cupboard. I wonder what I should do with them.
Did you figure out what to do with yet, picante? Simmering it in some water to make a tea is what I'm thinking, but I don't know the specifics. Reishi is very bitter.

picante

I've been reading myself to utter confusion about Nitric Oxide, (NO), and its effects.

I don't have a grip on it, but when it's elevated from; Infections, intake of nitrates, arginine, or citrulline, it can cause problems.

I've seen more about the side effects of taking NO donors, (body building sites), than medical papers. People report headaches and having to pee a lot.

I don't have a grip on it, either, and it's pretty important with our illness. When people ask, "Do we want to raise it or lower it?", I think the answer is probably "It depends". Some papers I've seen claim we have low basal levels of NO, and we need more, as that would attenuate the high peaks, when they happen. Others hypothesize that our iNOS is high, but eNOS and nNOS may be depressed.

I had a question about my NOS2 snps (iNOS), which @nandixon answered for me. I have three NOS2 snps that are homozygous (see my signature), and wanted to know whether they were upregulations or downregulations. She thought they were all downregulations, and that could be helping to keep my iNOS lower than it would otherwise be.

That's interesting that body builders report peeing more when taking things to raise NO. I wonder if there is a resulting increase in peroxynitrite that their body is trying to get rid of. Does ONOO or its breakdown products get excreted in urine?

MeSci

Wow! Can you have low aldosterone and hypertension? I didn't know that was possible. My BP was a steady 90/60 until I added salt, and then it went even higher from starting T3 (thyroid).
TBH I don't know. It may be that my lifelong salt craving (thus presumed salt wasting) has another cause. There are some hypotheses mentioned in this paper.

But I know that ACE inhibitors reduce aldosterone, and it was after starting one of these that I had severe hyponatraemia for the first time.

MeSci

Hi @picante ,

I've been reading myself to utter confusion about Nitric Oxide, (NO), and its effects.

I don't have a grip on it, but when it's Elevated from; Infections, intake of nitrates, arginine, or citrulline, it can cause problems.

I've seen more about the side effects of taking NO donors, (body building sites), than medical papers. People report headaches and having to pee a lot.

Although NO is a necessary compound/neurotransmitter, too much can be down right neurotoxic. ( I think its been causing my migraines too.)
There are two good PR articles about NO and ME/CFS here and here.

Crux

I don't have a grip on it, either, and it's pretty important with our illness. When people ask, "Do we want to raise it or lower it?", I think the answer is probably "It depends". Some papers I've seen claim we have low basal levels of NO, and we need more, as that would attenuate the high peaks, when they happen. Others hypothesize that our iNOS is high, but eNOS and nNOS may be depressed.

Yes, the info about NO and NOS, (nitric oxide synthase), in ME/CFS is equivocal. From reading about it, elevated NO can cause numerous problems in the body. Elevated NO from iNOS, (induced NOS), is caused by infections, and can be much much higher than the other forms.

I believe elevated NO from iNOS may be common in ME/CFS because we can have 'occult' infections that aren't easily detected in typical blood tests.

NO can be elevated from increased LPS from overgrowth of strains of e. coli, staph., or even lactic acid bacteria, such as L. Plantarum. These bacteria are considered to be normal and commensal, true, but can over produce metabolites if overgrown : lactic acid, nitric oxide, etc.

Lactic acid and nitric oxide are important and useful, until, like everything else, they are in excess.

These past two weeks, I've been stricken with migraines, again. Driven by pain, I researched and found a correlation between elevated NO and migraine. ( various causes for folks)

I also have a history of polyuria and dehydration.

I took the antibiotic, rifaximin, low dose, to rid some possible NO producing bacteria. The migraines are gone, but, I'd rather try something else.

Reishi mushrooms look to be a possibility. They might could lower blood glucose a little, so probably best taken with meals. ( I think some studies use very high doses.)

@Violeta , would you mind describing your trials with Reishi mushrooms? ( brand, dosage, etc.)

Thanks.

Violeta

I had a question about my NOS2 snps (iNOS), which @nandixon answered for me. I have three NOS2 snps that are homozygous (see my signature), and wanted to know whether they were upregulations or downregulations. She thought they were all downregulations, and that could be helping to keep my iNOS lower than it would otherwise be.

That's interesting that body builders report peeing more when taking things to raise NO. I wonder if there is a resulting increase in peroxynitrite that their body is trying to get rid of. Does ONOO or its breakdown products get excreted in urine?

It definitely does relax my veins, I can see them bulging on my hands.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7532516

Violeta

@Violeta , would you mind describing your trials with Reishi mushrooms? ( brand, dosage, etc.)

Right now I'm taking Vitajing, bulk powder, extract, I think 20:1. Very good product. It's very bitter, though, so I either add it to my chaga tea or encapsulate it.

I've also used Paradise Herbs, Nature's Way, and Eclectic Institute tincture.

I read some threads at longecity this last time before buying some, and then looked around on Amazon.

I'm going to also try some goji berries today. I'm having a bad day, can't verbalize well, getting off of raw milk so maybe my brain is in a spasm. If I think of anything else I'll get back or if you have any specific questions, that helps me to pull up information.