1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DeFreitas 1991 Retrovirus/CFS Study

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Aftermath, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Summer

Summer Senior Member

Dr. Klimas Addresses the Issue

Expert Answers on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

2. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

Gene therapy

Hi Tee, well anyway it's safer as they now remove those promoter sequences. Viruses tend to surprise us, as they've been at this quite a bit longer than we have. They are also using HIV--again removing known harmful parts--as it's better than MLV. I know it sounds scary and in fact it is a bit freaky, otoh gene therapy holds much promise for curing horrible diseases and maybe eventually common ones.
  3. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

I feel badly for Elaine DeFreitis. Her silence makes me think that this is difficult for her.
  4. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Thank you for the information you're giving here Jenbooks and Summer. You're helping to fill in a lot of holes and giving information that helps all this make at least more sense.

That's amazing they're using HIV now in gene therapy. I did read that MLV used in gene therapy helped most of the patients and even after those 2 unfortunate kids acquired Leukemia from it, doctors were saying they would still use the therapy on their own children if they were in that situation because the outcome is usually good.
  5. Koan

Koan Be the change.

me too.

DeFreitas Disease
  6. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
    Rolling

Rollin, rollin, rollin,

Keep those news reports comin'.

Tina
  7. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Yeah, Defreitas Disease!

:) Yay Tina.

Check out this link. As I read it just now I remembered reading it many years ago. I thought then, 'Okay, CFS is caused by a retrovirus. Good. Now they have the info on it and they are talking about making headway on further research with it and coming up with solutions for us and then.... they dropped the ball. Fumble! But why? It seems like the NCF veered waaay off the path.

Here's the first link with highlights following. I think this article is from around 2002:

http://www.ncf-net.org/forum/ncftruths.html

Okay, so they knew the retrovirus was piggybacking on/in other viruses just like they're now saying XMRV is probably doing.

So go back more years from 2002. How many years ago did they know this?? 1991 perhaps?

Vaccines are incubated in chicken eggs and keep in mind they just stated earlier that the JHK retrovirus hides out in HHV-6A.

HHV-6A didn't show in the blood of Sophia Mirtza or her spinal fluid but when they autopsied her they found major infections of it throughout the basal ganglia of her brain. So we all may or may not have it, blood tests and spinal taps may not show it.

Okay.. a doctor from HEM is verifying a retrovirus and explaining how EBV is involved as well as HHV-6.. HEM are the makers of Ampligen!! Gee. It seems like bits and pieces of this article were expanded on by later researchers but I think they made the mistake of taking these facts apart instead of utilizing what was found out about the big picture.
    XMRV has protein spikes all over its envelope.

I just want to know why the CAA didn't announce this. Is that because they were under the control of the CDC? Why aren't they or the NCF talking about these discoveries now that XMRV is out in the open?

XMRV is a C-type retrovirus.

So Denmark and New Zealand seem to have found the same retrovirus too. Wow! Where are they now?

A Lentivirus means a slowly mutating retrovirus which XMRV is. Unlike HIV which mutates very quickly, millions of times in the same patient in fact.
    Keep in mind, CFS often presents similar to MS and MS is what they knew about back then.

So how did a mouse Leukemia retrovirus get inside of the HHV-6A virus? Could it be what I posted one page earlier about the two boys acquiring Leukemia from gene therapy?

Quote and link from that below:

http://cmbi.bjmu.edu.cn/news/0310/106.htm
  8. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    A bit more on the JHK retrovirus discovered in CFS in 2001.

From the CDC:
    http://www.co-cure.org/CDC-CFS.htm

http://www.researchgrantdatabase.com/g/1R01AI032710-01/HUMAN-JHK-VIRUS/

Whatever happened to these goals? Were they carried out? What came of this?
  9. usedtobeperkytina

usedtobeperkytina Senior Member

Clay, Alabama
  10. JerryH

JerryH Guest

Grossberg found something

"2003: Raisch Kevin P; Pizzato Massimo; Sun Hai Yuan; Takeuchi Yasuhiro; Cashdollar L William; Grossberg Sidney E
    Molecular cloning, complete sequence, and biological characterization of a xenotropic murine leukemia virus constitutively released from the human B-lymphoblastoid cell line DG-75.
    Virology 2003;308(1):83-91.
    A previously undetected retrovirus has been isolated from the human Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-negative, B-lymphoblastoid DG-75 cell line, widely used for EBV gene transfection studies. The complete 8207-base genome of the DG-75 retrovirus was molecularly cloned from viral mRNA and sequenced (Accession No. AF221065). Northern blot analysis with probes specific for the putative RU-5, gag, pol, and env regions identified a full-length viral RNA and spliced env mRNA. DG-75 viral RNA was isolated from the DG-75 cell sublines UW and KAR, but not from the HAD subline. The DG-75 retrovirus was isolated with primer-binding sites that match tRNA(Thr) and tRNA(Gln2). Homology searches revealed homology to (i) xenotropic NZB-9-1 env mRNA, (ii) Moloney-MLV pol region, and (iii) a truncated Evi-2 endogenous proviral sequence gag and pol region. Viral interference and infectivity assays confirmed the xenotropic nature of the DG-75 retrovirus. The DG-75 retrovirus is the first isolate of an exogenous xenotropic MLV in which the full-length genomic sequence has been characterized."

The genetic sequence of this virus is published, and by comparison on BLAST is 96% identical to XMRV
  11. jenbooks

jenbooks Guest

So...will the real virus please stand up????...
  12. misskoji

misskoji Guest

13. Summer

Summer Senior Member

14. Kati

Kati Patient in training

So what is it that she found then??? She found something, it seems clear to me. If the CDC said it was nothing, it must have been something:D
  15. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Thank you Catch. Good catch! ;)

Wow JerryH! So Grossberg has known since 2003 that XMRV is in patients with CFS. So, did he think that XMRV is the same as his JHK retrovirus? Why isn't he upset that Mikovits is claiming she just discovered XMRV? Can you provide the link for your post please?

Jen - lol!

If none of the former retroviruses discovered in CFS are XMRV, then we have more than one infectious human retrovirus in us.

They're either all the same infectious human retrovirus or they are different. The WPI is pretending that none of those other discoveries of infectious human retroviruses were real.
  16. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

The only way for them to definitively say that those other retroviruses weren't the same ones is to test the old samples for both and see what comes up. I don't see the WPI saying they went back and tested DeFreitas's samples or the "JHK" ones either. But perhaps they have? Would be good to know.
  17. Koan

Koan Be the change.

lololol

:D
  18. This was in the New york Times as part of an interview with Nancy Klimas adds a bit to the discussion

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
    Candice Towell for The New York Times Andrea Whittemore-Goad, 31, was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome when she was 12.
    Denise Grady, a science writer for The New York Times, recently explored the link between a recently discovered virus called XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome, in Is a Virus the Cause of Fatigue Syndrome? Here, Dr. Nancy G. Klimas, who serves on the board of the International Association for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, responds to readers questions. Dr. Klimas is a director of the department of immunology of the University of Miami School of Medicine and director of research for clinical AIDS/H.I.V. research at the Miami Veterans Affairs Medical Center. See her earlier responses in Readers Ask: A Virus Linked to Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fred Friedbergs responses to behavior-related questions in Behavioral Treatments for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

19. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    So far the names of infectious human retroviruses found in CFS are:

CAV - De Freitas et al. 1991
    JHK - Grossberg et al. 2001
    XMRV - Mikovits et al. 2009

I stand corrected, see the posts below.

Then there are numerous other studies from researchers at HEM and New Zealand, and Denmark where an infectious human retrovirus was found in CFS patients. And there was the Icelandic doctor who suspected an infectious human retrovirus in CFS in the 1950s. All of this is posted by me on p. 9 of this thread.

Thank you MissKoji who posted the link to the WPI FB page on p. 10 of this thread. They prove that CAV is not XMRV. Then that means we may have at least 2 infectious human retroviruses in us.
  20. Advocate

Advocate Senior Member

U.S.A.
    Things have changed since 1991. On Vincent Raconiello's website, J. Rodney Brister, the Viral Genome Curator at the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI), discusses some of the issues related to viral classification.

More here: http://www.twiv.tv/2009/08/02/twiv-43-virus-classification/

See more popular forum discussions.