1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Can You Come for a Visit? My ME/CFS Says No
My daughter and son-in-law just had a baby last week. We are thrilled. But we won't be able to see the baby or hold her any time soon. We won't be able to take over little gifts or help out with housework or babysitting.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DeFreitas 1991 Retrovirus/CFS Study

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Aftermath, Oct 13, 2009.

1. gu3vara

gu3vara Senior Member

That's going a bit off topic but still I'd like to hear from Gerwyn or anyone knowledgeable on that.
  2. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Yes, I think you are right gu3vara, about both things...
    I think it means that every single cell in the body would contain HHV-6 integration (I'm not an expert about this!)
    I think people with HHV-6 integration have specific symptoms that other people with a normal HHV-6 infection don't get... but I can't remember the details of this.
    There's no evidence of XMRV behaving like an endogenous virus, as far as I am aware.

3. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    I can't speak for Tina, but I think she means that we are only aware of there being 3 exogenous human retroviruses... and she is suggesting that there could be many undiscovered, hidden, human retroviruses.
  4. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks natasa, very interesting... I don't understand what it all means though, in terms of the bigger picture, for the human population and HIV transmission and resistance etc.
  5. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    Thanks Bob, that makes sense.

Amazing about those kids inheriting HIV that doesn't make them sick Natasa.
  6. Overstressed

Overstressed Senior Member

Belgium
    Hi Bob,

a year ago, I'd read a scientific magazine, reporting that the human genome(DNA) consists of 8% endogenous retrovirus particles. All in all, we're pretty much itself a retrovirus...

OS.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    eeek... :eek:
    so basically, we're 8% walking retroviruses!!!
    that might explain a thing or two about some of the people i know! :D
  8. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    lol Bob.

Here's that message from Dr. Bell regarding CAV:

http://www.davidsbell.com/LynNewsV6N2.htm

This sounds similar to what Justin was saying. The WPI is focusing on XMRV right now and that's as it should be. I'm cool with that but I do hope CAV is revisited in the future and in fact it may be a necessary piece of the puzzle, maybe in some of us, maybe in all of us.
  9. cfs since 1998

cfs since 1998 *****

Thanks for putting Dr. Bell's comment into context, starryeyes. It was implied earlier in the thread that he thought we shouldn't talk about it. But what he is really seems to be saying is, "Don't ask me because I don't know." I think that remark was over-analyzed. I agree with what you said--let's concentrate on XMRV but think about revisiting CAV in the future. That would be something if we had two retroviruses in us :eek:
  10. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Thanks for that starryeyes... it makes perfect sense that the WPI focuses on XMRV right now... they've only got very limited resources.
  11. justinreilly

justinreilly Stop the IoM & P2P! Adopt CCC!

NYC (& RI)
    NIH's Straus: Naps, emotions and lack of exercise are the culprits, not a retrovirus

Osler's Web concludes on p.684 with a talk given by Stephen Straus at the American College of Rheumatology in 1994:

12. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Sorry if this has already been covered but, do we know if XMRV is different to the Defreitas virus? If so are people able to be tested for that retrovirus and the others that are known to exist in humans? maybe cfs is due to a retrovirus but not always the same one?
  13. Levi

Levi Senior Member

superinfecting helper virus

Knackers,

Since the DeFreitas and and XMRV virons are significantly different in size, they are probably different retroviruses. The DeFrietas microbe may have been HERV-K http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/reprint/9/1/72.pdf (see p.84 and reference 40).[/QUOTE]

14. xrayspex

xrayspex Senior Member

u.s.a.
    fantastic thread, don't know if saw it back in the day but glad to see it now, what a wealth of info

too tired to say a lot but coldtaste is funny as hell
    and
    I am concerned that De Grice said in that LA xmrv article last year the stuff he did that coldtaste (name right? too lazy to check back) points out that bogus aspect of his words but since he is head of NCI and they are part of NIH that is involved in the xmrv research.....it makes me wonder what sort of influence he wants to have over the Alter paper?

Also what Hyde said was brilliant about cdc coverup is like "state terrorism' but i recall him being down on xmrv, remember why?
  15. lancelot

lancelot Senior Member

southern california
    After the Lo/Alter paper, it is more than obvious now that Elaine's CFS retrovirus she named CAV is one of the MLV variants. I have no doubt that this is the case rather than it being a 2nd novel retrovirus in CFS/ME unrelated to XMRV/MLV.

Elaine must have a big smile every time she goes to sleep at nights. God bless and sweet dreams......

See more popular forum discussions.