1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Defining recovery in chronic fatigue syndrome: a critical review

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Firestormm, May 6, 2014.

1. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Frank writes about his response here (in Dutch): http://www.hetalternatief.org/Herstel Twisk Objectiveren Symptomen 2014 1229.htm

Here's a Google translation of it:

Esther12, Cheshire, Valentijn and 2 others like this.
  2. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Yes, of course the psychosocial proponents will be against objective testing - because their house of cards would implode the moment objective testing becomes the norm for evaluating severity of ME/CFS.

Twisk seems to be handling the situation well.
    Valentijn and Bob like this.
  3. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I think that it should be adopted in EBM practice to downgrade any study using subjective evidence, automatically, whereas studies with high effect sizes for objective evidence already can have their evidence ranking upgraded.
    mango, Cheshire and Valentijn like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

So how do they know if patients have actually achieved "a sustained reduction of symptoms to normative levels and restoration of premorbid functioning" if they don't have a solid objective standard?

Round and round the mulberry bush we go.

Again.
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    alex3619, Cheshire and Valentijn like this.
  5. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    Recently published in response to the paper by Adamowicz et al. discussed in this thread, here's an intelligent, detailed & crushing critique of the PACE trial's "recovery" criteria:

Assessment of recovery status in chronic fatigue syndrome using normative data
    Alem Matthees
    Quality of Life Research
    11 October 2014
    http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11136-014-0819-0

The article is behind a paywall, but if you click on 'look inside' then you can actually read the whole article, minus the references. And you can find the list of references underneath the abstract, using the above link.

As a temp measure, in case helpful, I've attached the two pages from the 'look inside' feature, as image files. I'll delete them in a few day's time.

000.png 001.png
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

@Bob, when I read this I could not suppress the thought: now just where had I read this notion before?

The references appear to be missing here.
  7. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    You can find the references under the abstract. (Click on 'references' for a drop-down list.)
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Thanks @Bob, but my version has no such clickable reference button. I have the refs from another source though. I have a lot of non-script and limited function options on my browser for security, this may be the issue.

You meant the first link, not the images. Doh. OK.
    Bob likes this.
  9. Bob

Bob

England, UK
    :)

lol, glad you found them in the end, Alex! Oh what fun we have using our mushy brains!
    alex3619 likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.