1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Pathway to Prevention (P2P) for ME/CFS: A Dangerous Process
Gabby Klein gives an overview of the P2P process, shedding light on the pitfalls with advice as to what we can do in protest ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Deficient EBV-Specific B- and T-Cell Response in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Ecoclimber, Jan 16, 2014.

1. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Most of these are long term human pathogens (HIV is an exception). They co-evolved, with humans and other viable species as hosts. We are the environment they co-evolved in. As such it can be expected that they will have capacity to take advantage of other co-infections they have co-evolved with.

Occam's Razor is about simpler hypotheses having preferences. Its not a law, its a heuristic. Further, I think it was once said (Albert Einstein?) that explanations should be as simple as necessary, but no simpler. In other words, they must explain all the relevant data, and as new data is found that violates them then even more complex hypotheses should be adopted. Biological findings are not set in stone, and even long-standing findings should be considered changeable.

I think a lot of the argument for Occam's Razor arises in harder sciences like physics. Simpler equations are often preferred. Biology is messy. We are talking of systems of things interacting. Reductionism and critical rationalism, and heuristics like Occam's Razor, start to meet their limits here, and really fail when it comes to psychology or psychiatry.
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    and we have higher levels of IL-10 than controls according to this paper.
    Simon likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.