1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
August 8th - What is the one thing about suffering with severe ME that the world needs to know?
Andrew Gladman brings our coverage of the Understanding & Remembrance Day for Severe ME, airing the voice of patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

declaration-of-prion-as-a-pest-under-fifra

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by lansbergen, Mar 2, 2013.

1. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2013/02/28/2013-04613/declaration-of-prion-as-a-pest-under-fifra-

Declaration of Prion as a Pest Under FIFRA

A Rule by the Environmental Protection Agency on 02/28/2013

Publication Date: Thursday, February 28, 2013

Agency: Environmental Protection Agency

Dates: This final rule is effective April 29, 2013.

Effective Date: 04/29/2013
    Entry Type: Rule
    Action: Final rule.
    Document Citation: 78 FR 13501
    Page: 13501 -13507 (7 pages)

Summary

With this final rule EPA declares a prion (i.e., proteinaceous infectious particle) to be a “pest” under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA) and amends the regulations to expressly include prion within the regulatory definition of pest. This final rule also amends existing pesticide product performance data requirements to clarify that efficacy data are required for pesticide products with prion-related claims. In addition, EPA is announcing the availability of final test guidelines on generating the product performance data for prion-related pesticide products.

2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

And the significance of this is?

3. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

Seems to me they are taking it serieus now.

Prions stay infectieus in soil for decades.

US has a CWD problem.

I guess there are now possibilities ( or claimed ones) to clean the environment.

See more popular forum discussions.