Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

DEBUNKING THE MYTH OF ADRENAL FATIGUE

Discussion in 'Adrenal Dysfunction' started by drob31, Nov 30, 2014.

1. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

This is interesting because I have just been recently looking at histamines. When I feel more awake, I feel warm and my veins in my arms have increased vasodilation and I have water retention. All symptoms of high histamines.

http://selfhacked.com/2014/11/23/adrenal-fatigue/

Beyond, angee111 and Kenshin like this.
  2. halcyon

halcyon Senior Member

The hypothalamus doesn't directly release cortisol.

The hypothalamus makes ADH but the pituitary gland stores it and releases it.

Otherwise seems like a relatively reasonable debunking of adrenal fatigue. Destruction of orexin neurons in the hypothalamus causes narcolepsy, so yeah, I could see how low orexin could cause fatigue.

3. adreno

adreno PR activist

Seems contradictory. Inflammation induces cortisol release and suppress orexin, which suppress cortisol...wait a minute ;-)

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Its worse than that. Low cortisol can lead to more inflammation. Doh.

Beyond, Sing and adreno like this.
  5. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    Too low cortisol does lead to inflammation in my experience. Sore throat and beginning flu symptoms. They subside as soon as I take 5 mg cortisol, which I do twice a day. This is the most important, helpful pill I take to stay fairly functional during the day, but it in no way stops ME/CFS.

WoolPippi likes this.
  6. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    Seriously? I had thought that at the end of the work day my flu feeling and sore throat were from city pollution or PEM. I can get rid of that with cortisol? How long until it kicks in?

7. Helen

Helen Senior Member

You could make a test by eating liquorice, just to see if you get an effect and should explore that further with a doctor. There are substances in liquorice that inhibits the breakdown of your own cortisol. You can google this as it is a wellknown medical effect. If you eat liquorice or drink tea made on liquorice root in the morning you will probably get an effect in the afternoon. I came across this first time when I read about an Italian doctor who treated his chronic fatigue in this way. ( It can have the same side effects as from the drug ( high blood pressure etc. ) but shouldn´t cause candida in the stomach) .

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  8. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    @Helen Thanks! We even have liquorice tea here at work! Although I just went off my high blood pressure medicine to see if I could regain the energy that went away when I went on the medicine. So I will go back on my amlodipine next week and try the tea. So drinking a cup of tea ... say... when I get to work at 9 should keep the flu feeling at bay at 5pm?

9. Helen

Helen Senior Member

@Strawberry , I think that might be too long time in between, but who knows. Maybe both a cup in the morning and at lunch just as a trial as liquorice from tea probably isn´t very strong. Be careful with your blood pressure ;). Best of luck.

10. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    I can even bring my BP monitor to work if it is needed. It is worth the shot to try, and I love black liquorice anyway!

edit: I can't wait to try this, my throat and flu aches are kicking in right now... :( Thank you for the info!

Helen likes this.
  11. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

12. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    I really like licorice but it wasn't strong enough for me, in terms of its cortisol effect. It can be hard to find a doctor to test you properly and prescribe low dose cortisol. Cortef affects me in 10 or 15 mins but lasts 6 hours so it is not good to take later in the day. It is a serious medication to use with care and a doctor's oversight.

August59 likes this.
  13. xrunner

xrunner Senior Member

Surrey
    All treatments I have tried to address adrenal fatigue haven't really worked for me, some even made me worse.
    As for licorice I used it for years, it was good for digestion but apart from that no help from it either.

"In short, the most common reasons we are fatigued is because inflammation (IL-1, TNF) suppress orexin neurons."

I'd probably agree with that statement if I look at my own case. At the same time, the mechanisms by which the kind of inflammation we experience in ME/CFS causes fatigue may be more complex than that, I guess.

Beyond likes this.
  14. Strawberry

Strawberry Senior Member

Seattle, WA USA
    Interesting, from the abstract: "and the tendency towards the elevation of sodium and reduction of potassium levels." My sodium levels are actually very low, and potassium very high. So even with the blood pressure risk maybe it would be good for me. I do intend to try this soon.

15. drob31

drob31 Senior Member

I'm actually experimenting with an ACE inhibitor to see if that stops the mechanism of the water retention from either high cortisol or hypothyroid.

16. xptriado

xptriado Senior Member

How do we control orexin then?

South likes this.
  17. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    I think this general idea is possibly true, "Adrenal Fatigue" is a result of neuroinflammation.

However, pretending that Orexin is all there is to "adrenal fatigue" is a wronged oversimplification, we are not narcoleptics I can tell you that much.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  18. Beyond

Beyond Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!

Murcia, Spain
    Find the source of inflammation. In my case is leaky gut, but my personality doesn´t help with stress either.

You know, I read once this amazon review praising the SUMA root (pfaffia paniculata or hebanthe eriantha), arguing that it helps CFS because it stimulates the hypothalamus.

Its a pity they took down the raintree business these people had crazy amazonian herbs in bulk.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

See more popular forum discussions.