Lipkin's Monster ME/CFS Study: Microbes, Immunity & Big Data
The Microbe Discovery Project outlines an ambitious new study by top researchers that has collected patient samples, but needs desperately funds to complete the work.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Debbie Jolly (blogger/campaigner) on BPS and disability reforms.

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Esther12, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Esther12

Esther12

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I would like to point out that what is called the biopsychosocial model is the model in name only. The original intent is very different from current implementation. Its a case of calling it one thing while doing something else entirely - in other words deliberately deceptive language. I am seeing a pattern. When such language is misused in this way I am seeing a potential for distorting agendas while making it palatable. In other words, if you want to do something bad first spin it as something good. The other thing they are doing is to spin something else as even worse (those faking fraudsters) and then offering a false dichotomy: you can't let them get away with it (we need to clamp down on disability fraud). Say one thing and do another, combined with bread and circuses (see those Christians get eaten by lions!). Its right out of Machiavelli's The Prince.

The biopsychosocial model as intended and sometimes discussed in academia has very little to do with the coercive and punitive agendas in its name. Its not a whole lot different from going to war on a pretext: anyone recall the weapons of mass destruction claim? Evidence Based Medicine is showing a similar but less obvious tendency.

Demonizing a section of the community is what Hitler did. It allowed him to eventually get away with mass murder and starting a world war. Its a very bad agenda to follow. One reason its particularly bad is it can get out of control: its very hard to un-demonize a community, it takes generations.

Something else occurs to me. Its a time honoured tactic that when there is potential for serious social unrest you go to war. Better a war than a civil war or social chaos. An alternative sometimes used to this is to pick a minority and demonize them - people's anger moves away from the government and toward the minority group.

Bye, Alex

3. Esther12

Esther12

I was reading some of Whites book on biopsychosocial medicine, and there's a discussion where they're talking about how to promote it. They say that the government only gets interested when they're told it is a way to save money.

edit: I'm unable to get access to this second section in googlebooks. Is it a misquote? Sorry for the confusion, but I think it would be best to assume it's inaccurate for now.
    edit2: It seems to no longer be available in google books, but one can access this bit (p220) on Amazon. It has been condensed somewhat, but not in a way that I think is misleading (although it was hard to cross check it all!)

I can't copy/paste from google books, so took the above from here: http://www.meactionuk.org.uk/PROOF_POSITIVE.htm

A google search for quotes from the above should turn up a link to google books.

I've been surprised by how little discussion there's been about the recent disability benefit reforms in the UK, and only blogs from disability campaigners mentioning the significance of the biopsychosocial approach to disability to them. I still naively expect massive social changes to receive some sort of analysis and investigation by our media.

re demonising benefit claimants. In some way, I prefer the open disdain for the disabled that comes from the way the Conservatives have promoted these reforms. It's more honest than the paternalistic pose Labour adopted to justify massive cuts to the help those with health problems receive. In many way, the biopsychosocial approach to CFS seems a very 'New Labour' project.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  4. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Thanks for this, Esther.

I'm shocked, I tell you, truly shocked. Fancy any competent government demanding hard evidence before enacting policy proposals. The impudence!

5. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Sean, yes, shocking, so what went so wrong that they are now enacting policy without a hard evidence base? Is it stupidity, error, bias, a con, fraud or a social agenda? Did I miss a cause? Bye, Alex

6. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

that biopsychosocial book

I am writing a book debunking much behind the biopsychosocial model, CFS and ME. I can buy White's book and might need to in order to analyze it, but I seriously begrudge giving them any money. Is there anyone who has read it who can PM me and discuss whether I should pay out money to these people? I can get the book reasonably cheaply, its heavily discounted now. Bye, Alex

PS its called Biopsychosocial Medicine: An Integrated Approach to Understanding Illness but I dont think it deserves to be in bold facing or in my title.

7. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Option G: All of the above?

ahimsa likes this.
  8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Hi Sean, sorry, my mistake, of course all of the above. I have a philosophy background, so my "or" tends to be an inclusive "or", not exclusive. That means any combination of the above is possible. Bye, Alex

ahimsa likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.