• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dear Dr Collins, Can the NIH spare a few dimes? by ex Washington Post journo with ME/CFS

Bob

Bob

Didn't Dr Lipkin say that the *reason* his ME NIH application was turned down (after he specifically went and asked the application panel members) was because they thought ME was psychosomatic?
I think the reasons were more confused than that, and not consistent. I can't remember the details now, but I'm not sure if the reviewer/s specifically said that ME is psychosomatic.

Last edited:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Yes, the total number of followers plus the total number of followers of the people who have retweeted them. Not an easy calculation once you get into the retweets.

I was thinking even just the followers of the primaries. Didn't someone say that just Carl Zimmer has a quarter of a million followers?

worldbackwards

This is something we've been needing for decades -- someone with real media influence taking a strong media stand for PWME. It could have been a politician or a celebrity, but in this case it was a well-known journalist.
Perhaps a journalist is best - celebs are always known for being flighty, divas, etc. Whereas this is a respected correspondent with a serious minded newspaper with lots of connections in high places.

Crikey - is the whole "ME gets taken seriously" thing actually coming together?

I shouldn't say things like that should I.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Didn't Dr Lipkin say that the *reason* his ME NIH application was turned down (after he specifically went and asked the application panel members) was because they thought ME was psychosomatic?
I think the reasons were more confused than that, and not consistent. I can't remember the details now, but I'm not sure if the reviewer/s specifically said that ME is psychosomatic.

http://www.cfscentral.com/2014/05/candid-conversation-with-dr-ian-lipkin.html

Kitei: There’s no federal money for ME research. Year after year there’s no money, and more is given to male-patterned baldness than to this disease.

Lipkin: Let’s backtrack and examine how these decisions are made. First of all, the National Institutes of Health gets money from the Congress. The Congress will mandate what it is they want people to do. The Department of Defense has funding for autism, for a number of other things that people push, including, as you mentioned, some disorders that are specifically male.

One of them is prostate cancer. The Department of Defense has been running programs on prostate cancer for decades. Why? Because men in the position to make those decisions have wanted research focused on prostate cancer, so they allocate money for prostate cancer. The NIH doesn’t allocate money for specific disorders. Those kind of monies are allocated in response to congressional mandates.

Now, Tony Fauci doesn’t have the ability to start a brand-new program on chronic fatigue syndrome. This is what I want to do. He’s continually being pushed to work on influenza, HIV, bio-threat agents, things of that nature. And there is a portfolio for chronic fatigue syndrome, which, as you said, is quite small. There are not many people working in this field.

I have been in competition now twice to get funded, and the people there who reviewed me gave me abysmal scores. And the critiques of my work were unfair, and one of the people who critiqued my work said, in fact, that this is a psychosomatic illness. I was floored. I protested, and for reasons that are obscure to me this same individual wound up back on the study section, and I got a similar unfundable score. Am I upset about this? Absolutely. Do I think Tony Fauci knows about this? No. And if Tony Fauci were to find out that people said that he claimed this is a psychosomatic illness, he would deny it because he doesn’t believe that’s true. I’m sure he doesn’t believe that’s true....

[In the first set of critiques I was also told] that everybody knows that this is a herpes virus infection of peripheral blood mononuclear cells so there’s no reason to look at the gut. This is the nature of study sections. You can’t control what people are going to do when they get on…. They do the best that they can, but that doesn’t mean they’re up to the task and it doesn’t mean that they’re appropriate.

One of the challenges is that there aren’t enough people doing credible research in the field. Period. If there were more people, you’d have better study sections, better work and we’d be further along in terms of sorting out this problem.

Kitei: You mentioned someone on the study section said this was a psychosomatic illness. Can’t this person be educated?

Lipkin: I think this person has to be eliminated. I pushed to have him eliminated permanently from this study section. I’m not going to tell you his name because it’s not appropriate, and I’m not supposed to know it….
The elimination stuff is a bit sinister......:eek:

geraldt52

Thanks of course to Brian Vastag, but also thanks to those who are following the social media impact and trying to help the rest of us understand what's going on, and the significance. Otherwise, I'd have no clue. Social media is not my thing, but there's no denying it's potential for impact, and this seems to be a very big deal.

jimells

Lipkin said:
[In the first set of critiques I was also told] that everybody knows that this is a herpes virus infection of peripheral blood mononuclear cells so there’s no reason to look at the gut. This is the nature of study sections. You can’t control what people are going to do when they get on

But they didn't appoint themselves, did they? It's easy enough (and popular) to blame Congress. However Congress didn't appoint the grant reviewers. And I've never seen any suggestion that Congress passed a bill to close the three CFS Centers of Excellence, for example.

The job of the NIH leadership is to lead. That's clearly not happening. Collins and Fauci could start with a memo that ME is a real disease to be treated that way. That doesn't require an Act of Congress - just an act of conscience.

Simon

Denise

In response to Brian's posted letter
(Rebecca Skloot is the author of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks a remarkable book)
  • "
    52a636853354d11e24ccd720803de7a4
    Rebecca Skloot says:
July 15, 2015 at 11:12 am

I’m so sorry to hear you’re dealing with this, Brian. This is a wonderful letter, and I know how challenging it was write. My father was among the first group of patients officially diagnosed with “CFS” in the 80s, when I was sixteen (when it was being referred to as “Yuppie Flu”). He was in the original (ill-fated) ampligen clinical trial (I’ve often said that watching him struggle with his illness and diagnosis, and that clinical trial, is one of the things that turned me into a science writer). I’ve been following all of this to some degree ever since, and have always thought I should write about it someday. As my father has said and written many times: calling this disorder Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is like calling diabetes Chronic Peeing Syndrome, or emphysema Chronic Coughing Syndrome. He’s written several books about his own experiences, including his struggles with learning to write again after brain damage (starting with “The Night Side: Chronic Fatigue and the Illness Experience”). In case you’re interested and haven’t seen them, you can read a few of his essays online: http://www.missourireview.com/archives/bbarticle/wild-in-the-woods-confessions-of-a-demented-man/ And http://www.gettysburgreview.com/sel...seball as Balm&author=Floyd Skloot&story=true. Wishing you all the best."

A.B.

I'm confused by the author's CPET performance. He wrote that he collapsed after 8 minutes. I don't have my CPET results yet but I don't think I managed to last even half as long. I consider myself mild to moderately affected and can walk for long periods of time without major problems. Are these tests not standardized or is there a hint that there is something unusual going on with my ability to tolerate aerobic exercise (even when compared to ME/CFS patients)?

To be fair I did not collapse but I was instructed to avoid overdoing it (I did almost fall while walking back to the chair after the test, so I probably wasn't far from overdoing it either).

searcher

A.B.- Where did you do your test? I think it's hard to compare across tests because it matters how quick the ramp-up period is. If you bicycle slowly without resistance for the first five minutes it will be easier than walking so your heart rate won't increase, but if you ramp up relatively quickly you will hit your anaerobic threshold rapidly.

I did a test at Stanford which ramped up quickly and I hit my Anaerobic threshold (~87 bpm) within five minutes, but I watched a test at Workwell which ramped up much more slowly. Also, the Stanford researcher had me go closer to VO2Max than Staci and Jared ask of patients at Workwell.

A.B.

A.B.- Where did you do your test? I think it's hard to compare across tests because it matters how quick the ramp-up period is. If you bicycle slowly without resistance for the first five minutes it will be easier than walking so your heart rate won't increase, but if you ramp up relatively quickly you will hit your anaerobic threshold rapidly.

I did a test at Stanford which ramped up quickly and I hit my Anaerobic threshold (~87 bpm) within five minutes, but I watched a test at Workwell which ramped up much more slowly. Also, the Stanford researcher had me go closer to VO2Max than Staci and Jared ask of patients at Workwell.

So they are not standardized. I did mine at de Meirleir's office, and it ramped up quickly.