Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dealing with weight gain

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by talkingfox, Dec 23, 2009.

1. kat0465

kat0465 Senior Member

Texas
    hehehhe, ya know i think they might be!! must have been the angle in the other pic :) if i had the energy i just might put a bikini on & paint too!!!

2. kat0465

kat0465 Senior Member

Texas
    Koan,
    I'm trying desperately to love my new Spare(Gulp) Tires!!

3. Sunday

Sunday Senior Member

coxy, yes, actually that was the pattern of my illness: gained weight the first year, then suddenly just keep losing no matter what I ate. I speculate that the weight loss was due to losing my ability to absorb food (gut issues). (My acupuncturist thought I might have leaky gut, and he might have been right.) There is some evidence that methylation may be what's needed to get the gut back into good shape. Certainly my experience with the B12 protocol (which is meant to restart methylation) could be interpreted that way.

4. Sunday

Sunday Senior Member

Kim, just wanted to add my appreciation for the Defense of the Whales. And in addition: mermaids are vain characters who have a habit of destroying the people they encounter (e.g. the Lorelei).

5. Sunday

Sunday Senior Member

You might try carnitine, which is something we tend to be deficient in. It's essential in the fat-burning process which creates ATP.

6. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    In general, just eat (and drink!) healthy. Eat whole foods (which still have all the fiber and nutrients in), not processed foods. No diet foods or pop or fake sugar or fake anything. Drink water. No concentrated/high glycemic carbs. Get lean protein and a bit of good fat with each meal or snack. Check out the Zone diet for an example of a good balanced diet.

If you're having problems with hypoglycemia which causes you to eat more often to maintain blood sugar levels, crave carbs etc., add chromium supplementation. I was able to drop one meal a day just by doing this.

Other than that, be aware that meds such as anti-depressents and pain meds can cause weight gain. You can try switching meds, if you're game.

Also problems with hypothyroidism and adrenal fatigue can cause weight gain or inability to lose weight. You can supplement with the appropriate hormones/glandulars and helper supplements to get the thyroid and adrenals functioning better.

7. Hysterical Woman

Hysterical Woman Senior Member

East Coast
    Hi samatk,

Trying to lose weight while having CFS - so frustrating! Good luck to you. I don't have specific diet suggestions, but agree with Caledonia in that some meds can really cause weight gain. After 18 years of being on elavil and being hungry 24 hours a days (and craving carbs and salt) I am completely off of it. I can already tell a difference in my appetite. I don't get up out of bed in the morning, walk to the kitchen and start grabbing for things to eat being so hungry hungry hungry.

Take care,

HW

8. bakercape

bakercape Senior Member

Cape Cod. Mass
    Some things that have helped me

1) Lots of fruits and vegetables

2) Lots of water and green tea instead of Coffee. 8 glasses of water a day.

3) anaerobic excercise if you can tolerate it. Every time I try aerobic excercise I relapse but some weight lifting I can keep up and it helps buld retain muscle which in turn burns more calories than fat.

4) fight depression. I know I get depressed as a result of having CFS and it makes me want to eat more and give up on taking care of myself the best I can. Avoiding stressful people and situations and surounding myself with those who support and understand my illness helps the best for me.

Good luck. Weight control is so hard when you can't exercise much or at all.

See more popular forum discussions.