• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dealing with drama queens

Seanko

Managing stress is obviously important living with a chronic illness.

So, what are your tips for dealing with drama queens? (In real life & on forums)

dramaqueen.jpg

PNR2008

I have to confess, I am a drama queen safely tucked away under layers of sophistication. I don't let her out too often and the dog and cat are tired of hearing about it, so whenever my sister visits sometimes we just let it rip.

It just seems that difficult things for me to process I have to use my mouth. Talk it out, hash it out, go over and over until I come to terms with the problem in my mind.

Most of the time there is no solution but a sense of peace can be reached and I can continue to go on.

For example, a few days ago I used my last bit of energy to bike ride with my dog attached to the back axle. She does 75% of the work but I steer and balance. We have a blast and I get out in a quiet development in a beautiful setting and feel alive again.

Well this guy was turning into his drive-way and turned toward me at the other end of the curb but instead of making a hard turn he kept coming at me. I stopped (dumb) and yelled "what the hell are you doing?" It was as if I snapped my fingers, he came to earth, apologized and said "I saw you".

He seemed dumbfounded that he came close to hitting me and my dog just pulling up in his driveway. He zoned out maybe a seizure etc. I had a lot to process at home, I called two people and went over it like a detective.

The point is I had to work it out verbally until I found a level of acceptance and moved on. I am a drama queen and proud of it, it's the way I process life.

Tammy

@PNR2008...................I don't know if I would classify you as a drama queen for those reasons you mentioned! For me a drama queen is most all the time going on and on and on about EVERYTHING.............over exaggerating/sensationalizing........complaining non stop about his/her woes past, present, future................and complaining non-stop about others. It is really draining if you know someone like this. @Seanko............for me I really have to detach myself from these kind of people. I am all about being sympathetic and empathetic..............but when the drama is all the time instead of once in awhile..........it's just too much.

WoolPippi

They irk me. When I turn away from them (or the computer) their words keep spinning in my head and I find myself composing witty replies and having rapid breath and heart beat. This is not good.

I then make a choice:
1: poke the bear. Engage with drama queen. Because its exhilliration and I want to fight. I only do this when I have the energy for it. When I can handle the rumble and the heightened stress level. I am not hung up on actually defeating them. It's kind of a hobby. Or perhaps an addiction (because I interact with humans and the adrenaline makes me feel alive)

Or

2: I force myself to let it go. Their drama probably will be old news in two weeks time. Nothing that's old news in two weeks time is worthy of working myself up over. Losing my energy. Straining my mind and body with irk and adrenaline.
I resign to the fact that there are a lot of stupid people. I close the computer and/or force myself to think about a subject that fascinates me. This subject I have chosen in advance. At the moment it's bacteria in and around the body, including biofilms. It's a technical puzzle that involves learning new information and that occupies my mind. It can also be architectural plans for my house. Writing a book for new PWME. Whatever fits you.

But: I've thrown out of my life any person that tires me. Who is mean. Who knows no personal growth or developement. Who will never change their mind. And narcisistcs because they are just not human.

I have found the meaning of live to be in moments and in the small circle around me. If poking a drama queen is not fun or exhillirating I probably leave them alone. Ain't nobody got the reserves for that. This includes family members, neighbours, former best friends and bosses. They are energy leeches and I'm ruthless in culling them from my life.

ukxmrv

It can sometimes help to visualise what would work if you acted out the behaviour you have a problem with i.e

Maybe think of the last time you acted like a "Drama queen" (what ever that means to you) and then think what would have worked to deal with you.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
I have a problem with people who like to hear themselves talk, talk only about themselves while answering a question someone asks and then, pages later, they finally get to the point which could have been made in a few sentences had they bothered to edit themselves.

minkeygirl

But I Look So Good.
@Snowdrop I find there is a big difference (for me) between those who talk about a current problem, look for help and then move on, and those who spend every breathing minute sucking the life out of everyone and everything around them. I don't want to be around that. Seems like those people have little self-awareness.

WoolPippi

Some of us haven't read the whole thread and others by Sean.
He's referring to PWME as drama queens because we talk about our illness.
Is that what the princess picture on top is about and John Mac's subsequent warning?
Went right over my head. I don't know Seanko's opinions and I have some "social interaction fog" ;)

I often reply seriously to dishonest people and frankly I don't care much that I do. There's always someone else reading who might appreciate my answer :)
The only cost is my time and my energy ... of which I have not much. Grrrr. Trolls be stealing my treasures.

If that's the case here I don't mind. It's a good subject to talk about.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Some of us haven't read the whole thread and others by Sean.
He's referring to PWME as drama queens because we talk about our illness.
You mean I'M the drama queen? Well in that case you'd better make me a cup of tea and start listening.

It's a rare day when I talk to anyone about my illness, most people don't even know about it.