• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Deadline of 31st October 2015 for reporting UK's abuse of sick and disabled to UN

Countrygirl

This information concerning the UN's investigation into the UK's (should I now insert the word alleged???........nope, nothing 'alleged' about it) inhumane treatment of people who are sick and/or disabled has appeared on my newsfeed.

Those who want to report such a violation have until 31 OCTOBER to send evidence to the United Nations team investigating UK breaches of human rights of the disabled. Please share in disability groups.

The team will be gathering direct evidence from individuals about the impact of government austerity measures, with a focus on benefit cuts and sanctions; cuts to social care; cuts to legal aid; the closure of the Independent Living Fund (ILF); the adverse impact of the Work Capability Assessment (WCA); the shortage of accessible and affordable housing; the impact of the bedroom tax on disabled people, and also, the rise in disability hate crime.

Contact details:

CRPD - Secretariat contact details
Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD)
Human Rights Treaties Division (HRTD)
Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Palais Wilson - 52, rue des Pâquis
CH-1201 Geneva (Switzerland)

Mailing address
UNOG-OHCHR
CH-1211 Geneva 10 (Switzerland)

Tel.: +41 22 917 97 03
Fax: +41 22 917 90 08
E-mail: crpd@ohchr.org

For individual complaints:

Petitions Team
Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights
United Nations Office at Geneva
1211 Geneva 10 (Switzerland)

Esther12

Could be worth making submissions to this. Probably worth being aware of the prejudices around CFS though, and being careful with phrasing so that they have no excuse to pretend it's just patients being afraid of the stigma of mental health, not understanding that the mind and brain interact, or resisting the effective behavioural interventions available to them. (I can be overly paranoid about these things).

SilverbladeTE

nuremberg-trials.jpg

see how they like being terrified and trapped