Invisible Illness Awareness Week 2016: Our Voices Need to Be Heard
Never heard of Invisible Illness Awareness Week? You're not alone. Jody Smith sheds a little light to make it more visible
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Deadline for comments on ICD-10-CM Today, July 15

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by WillowJ, Jul 15, 2011.

1. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I intended to post a lot sooner, but somewhere I lost some days this week

at any rate, there's going to be a meeting this September about the USA's Clinical Modifications to the ICD code.

Currently the ME/CFS situation is this:

ME is coming back to the US's coding system, more or less. It is called Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome, but is noted as also called myalgic encephalomyelitis, and will be coded G93.3, but is described the same way as Fukuda-CFS. Doctors will be told this is a conversion from ICD-9-CM's 780.79, "other malaise and fatigue"

Description:
    Current ICD-9-CM for the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 780.71: doctors will be told this converts to ICD-10-CM R53.82 "Chronic fatigue, unspecified"

ICD-9-CM is described:
    ICD-10-CM R53.82 Chronic fatigue, unspecified

nothing is said about what "chronic fatigue, unspecified" actually is, unless "MS-DRG v28.0" is some kind of clue.

2. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    regardless of what is found out in research, etc., we will be stuck with ICD-10-CM--and with the messages it sends to the medical community--for quite some time

3. WillowJ

WillowJ คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl

WA, USA
    I forgot to include info for participation in the International Classification of Disease (ICD) Coordination and Maintenance Committee meeting (meets next in September, but you must act today to be timely--I got this info very recently but apologize for not putting it up a few days ago instead of today)

how to participate here: www.cdc.gov/nchs/icd/icd9cm_maintenance.htm

See more popular forum discussions.