Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller / Trial by Error: My E-Mail Exchange With NICE Chief Executive 14 August 2017

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cheshire, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

http://www.virology.ws/2017/08/14/trial-by-error-my-e-mail-exchange-with-nice-chief-executive/

dangermouse, Mij, Valentijn and 26 others like this.
  2. trishrhymes

trishrhymes Senior Member

UK
    An excellent letter from David Tuller. I think it's really important because it demonstrates that the actions of NICE are being watched by scientists around the world. Dillon can't say now that he wasn't aware of the issues with PACE, since he has acknowledged receipt of this letter that spells it out very clearly.

3. RogerBlack

RogerBlack Senior Member

Quite, it's important to realise a lot of people are holding their feet to the fire.

(not, as you understand, in a literal manner, for the avoidance of doubt for any lawyers for QMUL or NICE reading)

4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

And the letter might even have helped make him aware of some issues too?

5. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    I think that could be very true.

Many years ago I remember seeing Brighton Marina being built, which comprises massive concrete pillars butted up to each other, going out into the sea. A huge crane-on-rails was used to build each new pillar, and once complete the railway was extended onto it, so the crane could advance further, to build the next one.

David's letter is a bit like that, and superb for it. Each question forms part of the preparatory work for later questions, and as such it is an excellent educational work in its own right. Just what the doctor ordered! :)

6. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member

Is that why the berthing fees are so extortionate!!

Luther Blissett and Barry53 like this.
  7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Good letter, with a hint of a threat. If NICE makes a bad decision this will be publicised.

8. Stewart

Stewart Senior Member

There's no point adding a mealy-mouthed disclaimer like that - as far as Sir Simon is concerned you've as good as admitted that you're actively plotting to have him burned at the stake.

You should expect your post (highly edited and taken completely out of context of course) to appear in one of his powerpoint presentations in the very near future. :)

9. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
    Seriously, @Esther12 ? He doesn't want to become aware of any issues. He will go to any lengths to avoid becoming aware of any issues.

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Which is precisely why he and others with relevant authority need to be made aware, and very overtly, so that pleading ignorance is not an option.

Sadly, these people, and the system of governance that allows such behaviour, are going to have to be publicly shamed into doing the right thing. They have had plenty of chances over the years to do it voluntarily, and have completely failed to do so. There is no acceptable plea left they can enter, not even in mitigation.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  11. Wolfiness

Wolfiness Activity Level 0

UK
    In order for them to be publicly shamed the public would have to give a toss about us.

12. Sean

Sean Senior Member

They don't have to give a toss about us for public shaming to work. They just have to give a toss about being exposed as negligent, incompetent, or dishonest, and the consequences of that for their prospects in the career and honours game.

13. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

I found this comment from @Graham very interesting:

GreyOwl, Countrygirl, ukxmrv and 12 others like this.
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Sir Andrew Dillon's reply was classic British snootiness. Does he have any idea how ridiculous he looks to the rest of the world?

15. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Could be :).

It is actually why I also particularly like, and recommend, your article "PACE team response shows a disregard for the principles of science", because it follows the same educational principle, as well as making its own strong case.

16. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    He's pulled the 'deniability rug' from under NICE with a swift flick of the wrist. Neatly done.

17. Barry53

Barry53 Senior Member

UK
    Trouble is, I'm not sure they give a sh*t.

Wolfiness, Wonko and dangermouse like this.
  18. Solstice

Solstice Senior Member

Reckon they do. At the moment they can still get away with their shit. But we're seeing more favorable coverage of our plight as of late. These people do seem to be very allergic to bad coverage about themselves.

19. lilpink

lilpink Senior Member

UK
    I'm not sure it's up to them to give a **** is it? Since when do we have consider the feelings of the 'aggressor'? It's what it can prove / illustrate to the wider public that matters.

Barry53 and Valentijn like this.

See more popular forum discussions.