August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller: 'Trial by error continued: the real data'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Kati, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Kati

Kati Patient in training

2. Kyla

Kyla ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ

Canada
    http://www.virology.ws/2016/09/22/trial-by-error-continued-the-real-data/

excerpt:

read the rest here:
    http://www.virology.ws/2016/09/22/trial-by-error-continued-the-real-data/

3. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member

4. AndyPR

AndyPR Cookies for Tired Sam

Jeez David, don't beat about the bush, say what you mean.. ;)

Daisymay, waiting, moosie and 17 others like this.
  5. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Horton's behaviour is unacceptable.

Cornishbird, moosie, Nina and 13 others like this.
  6. *GG*

*GG* Senior Member

Concord, NH
    Should really be a LOVE or Super Like function for posts like this!

GG

Daisymay, Mel9, moosie and 9 others like this.
  7. CFS_for_19_years

CFS_for_19_years Hoarder of biscuits

USA
    Tuller:
    In the comments section - Chris: (bolding mine)

8. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Its all unacceptable.

Science has taken some very wrong turns in the last few decades, but perhaps the most insidious and dangerous wrong turn is how so many in media, bureaucracy and the medical community completely fail to grasp the obvious problems.

The question that inevitably arises is this: if they fail to grasp the obvious, how can we trust them in any other matter? They have diminished credibility.

There are lots of extenuating circumstances, this does not lead to blame for the media, bureaucracy or medical community, but it does show a failure in responsibility.

Daisymay, GalaxiiGrl, moosie and 16 others like this.
  9. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Horton's reaction makes me curious. What's his story? Did he accept any kind of bribe to fast track publishing? What's for him to lose (other than his reputation)? Who does he get orders from? How big is the network of lies and vested interests (essentially, a cartel)?

It sounds like crazy, I must admit, but then, the british psych lobby is planning to apply the PACE trial to children now. As crazy as it is, and how did this pass ethics board? There must be forces out there that perpetuates these things from happening. Who is at the top of the cartel? How far does it go?

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

imo Horton genuinely thought he was bravely standing up for rigorous science against a small band of militant anti-science activists. He was too stupid to spot the problems with PACE, and possibly still doesn't understand them now. He was so supportive of PACE and condemning of patients who criticised it that he now cannot acknowledge the problems that everyone else sees.

I do think that there's a side story about the way Horton placed himself in a position where he could no longer acknowledge how flawed PACE was. This seems like a clearly bad thing for a journal editor to do.

Valentijn, Luther Blissett and Sean like this.
  11. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Finally! Somebody with the pelotas in the right place to call it fraud!!!!!

12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

This:

13. mfairma

mfairma Senior Member

I was trying to make this point with a friend recently, but I couldn't convince him. Edge cases often demonstrate the functioning of the system. When the whole system -- medicine, media, and politics -- can fail so completely for so many years, as it has in this disease, how can you have faith in the certainty of the conclusions offered in other spaces? You can't, at least not absolutely so.

Certainly, the imperatives of the system drive behaviors that are detrimental to the whole and it is hard to hold individuals accountable for behaviors driven by systemic factors, but, nevertheless, I don't think we can hold individuals blameless for complicity in promoting certainty despite low knowledge, even if the system holds up that behavior as ideal. The pressures of journalism may militate toward lightly researched articles and shallowly informed opinions and the pressures of medicine may do the same, but that, to me, doesn't excuse the certainty with which judgments are rendered.

Daisymay, Izola, TiredSam and 9 others like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Mr Horton may have no plans to correct his errors, but others do.

Daisymay, ballard, Ritto and 3 others like this.
  15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Cannot be emphasised enough.

The PACE team, and their like-minded colleagues, could not have got away with all this if they had not had high level support and protection from the political and economic elite, and their useful idiots in the mainstream corporatist media.

The real reason PACE is being so irrationally, relentlessly, and at times viciously defended, is that if it goes down so do a whole lot of other people and projects.

This goes way past just little old PACE and psycho-social medicine. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay past.

Daisymay, Cornishbird, Jan and 10 others like this.
  16. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I suspect so, particularly since much of the biopsychosocial agenda has close ties to political agendas and private vested interests (mainly insurance).

I have said before that I feel a need for popcorn as this unfolds. I have issues with corn, but the way this is unfolding I would need to live next to a popcorn factory to supply me with enough popcorn.

We have been waiting for this for decades. The PACE disgrace is just another in a long line of problem research, but its also the biggest and most influential. They should have learned the lesson with the FINE trial, but maybe they did, and that is why things went even more wrong with PACE.

17. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Also: another interesting peice - great work David Tuller!

I've become so used to his work, and more recently the work of others, that I've almost stopped being grateful for it. I just take for granted that he is going to be slogging away, fighting to help improve things for us. I need to regain some perspective and start praising God for David Tuller.

Daisymay, Mel9, Cornishbird and 16 others like this.
  18. leela

leela Slow But Hopeful

Couchland, USA
    When I read this sentence I felt like Maria twirling around in the mountains singing "The Hiiiiillllls are Aliiiive With the Sound of Muuuusic."

Seriously, Tuller ought to have been the one who was knighted.

Daisymay, Hutan, Cornishbird and 14 others like this.
  19. Large Donner

Large Donner Senior Member

That's about as far as one can take stupid. Is there an infinite amount of stupid and can you double it. Can the universe even accommodate that amount of stupid? It must be an ever expanding amount of stupid the kind of stupid that runs out of dark matter to expand into in an infinite amount of stupid.

The question is, if he really is that "stupid" who employed him and why?

I think the problem for the Lancet is that they are afraid of being called an infinite amount of monkeys.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    Jan, taniaaust1 and OverTheHills like this.
  20. Glycon

Glycon World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet

ON, Canada
    When you have dug yourself a grave so deep that your only hope is to play dumb and hope everyone ignores you as you frantically try to dig your way to China:

CtALmDJWcAAQTtO.jpg

trishrhymes, Valentijn and taniaaust1 like this.

See more popular forum discussions.