Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

David Tuller, Trial By Error, Continued: My Questions for Lancet Editor Richard Horton

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Cheshire, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

http://www.virology.ws/2016/09/01/t...y-questions-for-lancet-editor-richard-horton/

meadowlark, Keela Too, leela and 42 others like this.
  2. dancer

dancer Senior Member

Midwest, USA
    I'm so grateful for David Tuller's tenacity, along with the others who continue to pursue this. We're stuck inside an illness that has brutal tenacity, so I treasure the allies that keep fighting for us (in research, advocacy, etc.)

Keela Too, leela, Esther12 and 24 others like this.
  3. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

Can we award Tuller extra points for spectacular use of the word squelch following shortly after this line '(I’ve called it “a piece of crap.” I might also have referred to it somewhere as “doggie-poo,” but I’m not sure.)'
    Beautiful imagery, Horton really has put his foot in it!

PennyIA, Kati, Esther12 and 10 others like this.
  4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    ummm, again!!!!

5. Mrs Sowester

Mrs Sowester Senior Member

He's nothing if not consistent @alex3619 ;)

snowathlete likes this.
  6. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Toronto
    Re: DT's new blog---devastating. He bat's the ball out of the park and (to mix metaphors) eviscerates (once again) the Leviathan that is PACE.

leela, Mary, Solstice and 5 others like this.
  7. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Brilliant, thanks again!

moosie and Mary like this.
  8. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Going after Horton almost feels like bullying. He clearly never had any idea what was going on with PACE, and whenever he speaks publicly about it he's a gift for the trial's critics. Great to have another piece from Tuller to enjoy.

Valentijn, worldbackwards and Kati like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

It was his responsibility. He endorsed it glowingly. If he had no idea, he should resign. If he had an idea, he should resign. If he was totally fooled, he should at least go public and explain.

10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Horton's position is untenable if the truth about his actions is recognised. To keep his job, he's now committed to a permanent attack upon reality.

11. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

This is similar to what I have said elsewhere. He risks possibly losing his job if he is found out on two simultaneous problems, one of which is PACE. His judgement could be questioned. Whether that would actually happen is unknown, but his support would certainly be weakened.

Invisible Woman and TiredSam like this.
  12. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Dare i quote you @alex3619 from your signature, because it makes a lot of sense especially here:
    Or if you encounter a snag, say nothing unless you are in a court of law. :rolleyes: They are running out of options.

Solstice and alex3619 like this.
  13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

I presume your question was rhetorical @Kati. We need to object to psychogenic claims because they are, and have always been, without sound evidence. They have only ever been proven wrong, and never been proven right. They are just presumed right on the basis of fancy but unsubstantial rhetoric.

moosie, Invisible Woman, A.B. and 4 others like this.
  14. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    Considering that he is stubbornly helping to perpetuate a situation that has caused unnecessary suffering to millions over decades, and seems bent on doing everything he can to make sure that it continues to drag on for as long as possible, I'm not really feeling the bullying thing.

If he isn't prepared to do the decent thing and fall on his sword, the least he could do would be to step to one side and allow both parties (ie the psychoquacks and the scientists) to have a voice in his rag of a publication. Instead of that he's pointlessly allowing the suffering to continue simply to save his own face for as long as possible before the inevitable.

Banning scientists from speaking in the Lancet whilst millions suffer? He's clearly in the wrong job, and we have to pay the price for it. No sympathy for the guy whatsoever.

15. Daisymay

Daisymay Senior Member

Yes and way back when the paper was initially published Professor Hooper, the Countess of Mar, Angela Kennedy and MEA all put in formal complaints to the Lancet. Horton quickly knew the problems with the paper but he actively chose to do nothng about it, instead backing the PACE authors at the expense of scientific integrity, patient safety, his own and the Lancet's reputation.

Why? It's bizarre.

And now with Dave Tuller's excellent work, the letter from the 42 scientists, Rebecca Goldin's article exposing the PACE statistics and he still does nothing, no, he knows very well what he is doing.

You can see Professor Hoopers correspondence with the Lancet here, in the year 2011:

http://margaretwilliams.me/

16. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Sorry - I was being a bit flippant about how clearly out of his depth Horton is and wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with going after him particularly as he is in a position of authority, and is continuing to misuse that position.

17. TiredSam

TiredSam The wise nematode hibernates

Germany
    I know you didn't - just couldn't resist using that phrase as a springboard to go off on a bit of a rant, like I do :hug:

See more popular forum discussions.