• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dateline NBC News: Dr. Wakefield Continued on Sunday!

Frickly

Sunday, May 30, 2010
"Matt Lauer continues his reporting on autism with an exclusive interview with Dr. Andrew Wakefield, the controversial British doctor who said he found a possible link between autism and one childhood vaccine, who made headlines this week after being stripped of his license to practice medicine in his own country."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032600

Will they finally tell the other side of the story? I can't wait to find out. :D

xchocoholic

Thanks for posting this. I saw him on the Today show and am looking forward to this interview ... I'm just now learning who Dr. Wakefield is but have been learning about DAN (Defeat Autism Now) for a few years now. My protocal for CFS/ME, which came about from a food intolerance angle, is following along the same lines as the DAN protocal.

I watched the video in the link you gave and was wondering who that was at the 29 second mark who said that we are having an epidemic of whooping cough because parents aren't having their kids vaccinated. When my DD developed Whooping cough about 6 years or more ago, after being vaccinnated whenever a child is supposed to be, her pediatrician commented that the vaccines weren't working any more ... He'd seen several cases of whooping cough at that point.

It doesn't sound like this doctor, or whoever he is, knows this ... I'm betting that we've developed new strains of these viruses and aren't vaccinating for the right strains. With all the immune system problems today, I can't imagine how the drug companies would keep up with this. And without the internet, we'd never know how badly this was going now would we ?

This is an old link to an interview with Wakefield. It's not much but it's late and I need to get to bed ...

http://insidedateline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2009/08/25/4374204-sunday-aug-30-a-dose-of-controversy

Frickly

I am on my way to bed as well but beleive that was Brian Deer, the journalist who has been out to get Dr. Wakefield for a number of years. He created his own story and has made a nice living off of it.

Frickly

Ok...it is official....I am not a fan of Matt Lauer! Everything Dr. Wakefield said was correct. Our government has conceded, on more than one occassion, that vaccines have triggered autism in several individuals. It is easy to find, google it! Jeez! Matt did all kinds of research for this story but did not bother to check this, most important, fact for himself. Or... he did but decided to ignore it! Typical! UGG! (insert profanity here!)

Frickly

Ok....I have recovered. :) On a positive note.....Dr. Wakefield says, The mothers are not going away, the kids are not going away, and I am not going away. He will continue his research and fight for the children with Autism.

JillBohr

Hi Frickly,

I will try to post again (my last post failed). Anyway, to make it short. This show was actually aired last year sometime. They just copy and pasted the interview they did last Monday at the end of the show. If Lauer had done his homework, he would have added that those LARGE studies that showed no link was authored by Poul Thorsen (gee, last I heard, he was being investigated by police for stealing 10 million Kroners from Aarhus University). I must agree with Lauer that 12 children is too small for a study to determine a causative link btwn MMR and autism. Now, I wonder why 12 kiddos is now appropriate to show that a GFCF diet does not work? I wonder what Lauer's opinion is to why so many kids are being diagnosed with autism. If anyone now dares answer better diagnostics or changing MR diagnosis to autism, they are in the dark ages. They just have no f'n clue.

JillBohr

I forgot to add that they kept citing 1 out of 150 so you know it is dated. For those here that are not aware, the figure is now 1 out of 100. The 1 out of 150 are the children born in 1994 and the 1 out of 100 are children born in 1998. Yes, it takes our government 11 years to let us know what the basic numbers are on autism. I understand the 5 year delay (because of diagnosis) but 6 more years on top of that, c'mon.

natasa778

I forgot to add that they kept citing 1 out of 150 so you know it is dated. For those here that are not aware, the figure is now 1 out of 100. The 1 out of 150 are the children born in 1994 and the 1 out of 100 are children born in 1998. Yes, it takes our government 11 years to let us know what the basic numbers are on autism. I understand the 5 year delay (because of diagnosis) but 6 more years on top of that, c'mon.

Actually the 'new' figures of 1: 100 (or 103 I think) were reached by the study that was done in 2006!!!!!!

it took CDC 3 YEARS to analyse the data and to release new figures.

They released the new figures 3 DAYS BEFORE XMAS, LAST THING ON A FRIDAY . After sitting on them for 3 years. talk about coincidence LOL

then someone else actually published figures that are a bit more recent than 2006, and they are now 1 :90

1:59 in the UK (also released quietly, no press releases, no media present etc). those figures were also reached 2 years ago, and when someone leaked them and Observer on Sunday published them, the editor was sacked and disgraced... the hailstorm by "the experts" followed... Then 2 years later the figures are actually published and are made official, no media reports them, no comments by "experts" are given.

carry on, nothing to see

Frickly

I read somewhere that, here in the US, it is approximatly 1:69 boys diagnosed with autism. It is an epidemic that our government totally ignores. Mindboggling....

JillBohr

Thank you Natasa. It may be confusing but the 2006 study was based on children that were 8 years old (hence born in 1998). I could hear the birds chirping when the CDC figures were released. I did not even know about the 1 in 90 figure and I am on this like flys on (fill in the blank). Maddening.