August 8th, 2016: Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis
Jody Smith joins with other ME voices in honor of Understanding and Remembrance Day for Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Dark circles under eyes after onset of M.E.

Discussion in 'General Symptoms' started by copi2k, Jul 19, 2015.

1. copi2k

copi2k

hello there,

i would like to know, who got immediate onset of dark circles under eyes when got M.E.? If so, what was the cause of your M.E.? Virus? Hormonal?

In my case, 2-3 days after rapid onset of M.E. i developed dark circles under my eyes, but only in the corner between eye and nose. I tried everything to let them disappear.. all Vitamins are in full range upper limit.. All Hormones are good. A long time I thought, my ME problem is due thyroid-conditions.. but now i think, this was the whole wrong way.. because i had inflammed tonsils, swollen lymphnodes under arms, fatigue and sweating when i got sick.. with immediate onset of dark circles. I started 2 days ago to treat EBV and CMV with valcyte.

Hutan and sarah darwins like this.
  2. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    I'd like to know the answer to this too. Seems to be a common thing amongst ME patients.

AndyPandy, alex3619 and sarah darwins like this.
  3. acer2000

acer2000 Senior Member

Yes I have this. Its one of the first things I noticed.

4. minkeygirl

minkeygirl But I Look So Good.

Left Coast
    That's the least of my worries.

5. Wayne

Wayne Senior Member

Ashland, Oregon
    It was the first thing my Mom noticed. I started out with slow onset and gradually worsening ME, and didn't tell her much about it at the time. But she did notice my eyes early on. Perhaps in part because of it, she was always interested, supportive and understanding of my health issues when few others were.

L'engle likes this.
  6. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    probably related to sleep issues or changes with the illness onset.

7. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Dark circles appeared one day in the mid-1990s and have been with me ever since. I look ghastly.

8. panckage

panckage Senior Member

Vancouver, BC
    Probably because we all became rock stars! haha

I've had this for a few weeks with ME. It wasn't related to onset or anything else though

AaroninOregon and alex3619 like this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    I prefer this theory. Maybe I should get some black face paint and look like a reverse panda. The dark circles have been ascribed (and I do not know if this is accurate) as due to adrenal issues.

10. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    This is true for me. When I get low in cortisol, I look like I've been punched in the face. It's one of my clues to take more steroid ASAP.

L'engle likes this.
  11. JAH

JAH Senior Member

San Jose
    I also got this early on, one of the few visible symptoms, parents noticed....

12. Thinktank

Thinktank Senior Member

Europe + Asia
    I've had dark-circles pre-onset of illness. In my case it's caused by food intolerance and hypoglycemia.

13. tyson oberle

tyson oberle Senior Member

tampa, florida
    I developed dark circles under my eyes with my illness and my gut feeling is that it is also somehow caused by food intolerances. But I would like to know exactly how? And also how with hypoglycemia? Thinktank, do you know?

14. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Hibernating

South Australia
    For me the problem persists no matter the quality or quantity of my sleep.

Hutan likes this.
  15. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    I have the same gut feeling (pun in there somewhere).

I got the dreaded dark circles when I first became ill. Real panda job. They were greatly reduced in colour and extent when I went gluten-free (I'm very intolerant of it) about 7 years later. Still have them but they've not been especially noticeable since then.

16. copi2k

copi2k

when i did a gluten free diet, i have noticed nothing .. no symptom changed

17. sarah darwins

sarah darwins I told you I was ill

Cornwall, UK
    Then you're probably not gluten-intolerant, but you might want to consider other potential food intolerances and try an elimination diet. tyson oberle suggested was that it might be food intolerances, not specifically gluten.

When I went gluten-free I lost about 10kg in weight, without trying, which took me back to a 'healthy' body weight, my continuing viral symptoms were greatly reduced, my energy levels improved and those dark circles got a lot less dark. It didn't cure me, but it made a really big difference.

I was just making the point that the dark circles, for me, seemed to be linked to food intolerance.

Sasha likes this.
  18. bertiedog

bertiedog Senior Member

South East England, UK
    I also have those dark circles together with bags under my eyes, one of the reason I was glad to wear glasses! My adrenals are treated now but they haven't disappeared unfortunately.

Pam

19. copi2k

copi2k

yeah i know that dark circles can appear because of allergy or intolerance to different things.. they are also called allergyc shiners. But in my case, they suddenly appeared with all the cognitive/physical symptoms.. immediatly after onset.
    I have asthma too and neurodermitis and am allergyc to house dust for example and different other things.. but i never had allergyc shiners until the onset of cfs/me.
    so everybody is different and everybody has to try what works and what not. I think my are due to chronic viruses ebv and cmv

20. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    ahh perhaps something else contributing then.

See more popular forum discussions.